The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, at Palmerston North, stands on part of a site of two acres on Broad Street. The present church was erected about the year 1888, is of wood and iron, and has seating accommodation for 400 persons. In 1905 a handsome two-storeyed brick building was erected as a Convent, in charge of ten sisters of mercy, who conduct the Girls' High School held in an adjoining building. There are about 300 pupils. The curriculum includes the higher branches of secondary education, including music and singing. The property of the Roman Catholic Church also includes the Zealandia Hall, which has accommodation for 2,000 persons; two club rooms for men, one of which is a reading room; another building reserved for games, debates, and meetings of the Hibernian Society; and a separate library for ladies. The Very Rev. P. C. Costello is priest in charge, and is assisted by the Rev. John Bowe.