The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Palmerston North High School Board was constituted in the year 1904. The Board of Governors consist of nine members, three of whom are appointed by ratepayers, three by the Education Board, and three by the Government.
The Palmerston North High School was constituted a District High School in the year 1902, in connection with College Street Public School, and a High School, under the Secondary Schools Act, in April, 1904. The school occupies a splendid site of ten acres in Featherston Street, presented by the Palmerston North Borough Council. It is a large building of wood and iron, on concrete foundations, and contains four class-rooms, which open into a fine Assembly Hall. There are also chemical and physical laboratories and an art room. In a separate building, behind the main structure, are the woodwork and cookery rooms, and a cottage for the caretaker. The roll contains 150 names, and the average attendance is 140. The Rector, Mr. J. E. Vernon, M.A., B.Sc., is assisted by five permanent and three visiting teachers.
The Campbell Street Public School has been established for many years. It is a wood and iron building, with extensive playgrounds, and has the largest attendance of any school in Palmerston North. There are 647 children on the roll, with an average attendance of 527. Mr. Francis Edward Watson, the headmaster, is assisted by a staff of certificated teachers and pupil teachers.
The College Street Public School is a wood and from building situated on a site of two acres, with a frontage to College Street. The school was founded in the year 1892. There are seven class rooms, which open into a large central hall, with a concrete floor. Three porches are attached to the building, and there are capital play-grounds surrounding the school. The number of pupils on the roll is 425, with an average attendance of 370. There is a cadet corps with sixty members in connection with the school. The head-master, Mr. David Low, is supported by five certificated teachers and three pupil teachers.