The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Palmerston North High School
The Palmerston North High School was constituted a District High School in the year 1902, in connection with College Street Public School, and a High School, under the Secondary Schools Act, in April, 1904. The school occupies a splendid site of ten acres in Featherston Street, presented by the Palmerston North Borough Council. It is a large building of wood and iron, on concrete foundations, and contains four class-rooms, which open into a fine Assembly Hall. There are also chemical and physical laboratories and an art room. In a separate building, behind the main structure, are the woodwork and cookery rooms, and a cottage for the caretaker. The roll contains 150 names, and the average attendance is 140. The Rector, Mr. J. E. Vernon, M.A., B.Sc., is assisted by five permanent and three visiting teachers.