The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Palmerston North Post and Telegraph Office is a handsome two-storeyed brick building, and was opened in the year 1906. The original building was removed to an adjoining section, and is used for other Government departments. The Post Office has a clock tower and a four-faced clock with Westminster chimes. The cost of the clock, £500, was defrayed by the Government and by public subscription. The ground floor of the building contains a fine public office, postmaster's room, telegraph, money order and savings bank departments, and a private box lobby with 344 boxes. There is a telephone exchange with 500 subscribers, four sub-exchanges, and twenty-three bureau connections. Within the borough there are two postal deliveries daily, and three deliveries in the Square. The staff consists of eighty persons.
Mr. Simeon Inder, who has been postmaster at Palmerston North since the year 1903, was formerly at Coromandel, and particulars of his career appear on page 898 of the Auckland volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand.