The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. Hugh Akers
Mr. Hugh Akers, the founder of the Linton Rifle Club, is an enthusiastic supporter of rifle shooting and the cadet movement. He was born in June, 1877, in Linton, and is the eldest son of Mr. William Akers, proprietor of the Riversdale sheep run. He was educated at the Campbell Street school, and at Mr. Kenneth Wilson's High School, Palmerston North. He then assisted his father until 1907, when he leased the sheep run on his own account, and in conjunction with it conducts another fine sheep run at Ashhurst. These two areas comprise about 8,000 acres, and carry 15,000 sheep and 1,000 head of cattle. The shearing sheds are fitted up with Wolseley machines, driven by a Hornsby oil engine.