The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Manawatu Mounted Rifles
The Manawatu Mounted Rifles, the A. Squadron of No. 3 Battalion of the Wellington (Manawatu) Mounted Rifle Volunteers, was established in the year 1891. For the first few years the corps was in a very uncertain position, but since Captain Peach has been appointed to the command it has been an enthusiastic and well-trained corps. There is a full membership, and frequent shooting practices are held.