The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Palmerston North Rifles
The Palmerston North Rifles, known as C Company of No. 2 Battalion, Wellington (West Coast) Rifle Volunteers, was founded in the year 1879, with the late Mr. G. M. Snelson as its first captain. The late Mr. James Carroll was afterwards elected captain, and commanded the corps until 1891, when he was succeeded by Captain Hall, who, in his turn, was succeeded by Captain John Mounsey in 1898. In 1881 the Palmerston North Rifles were represented at Parihaka, under Sergeant James Carroll, and during the South African Boer war many members of the corps served in the war. The corps holds a high place in markmanship and military drill, and has a membership of sixty. Rifle practice is held on the Government range, and the corps takes part in all inter-corps shooting contests.