The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Feilding Municipal Abattoir is situated about one mile from the township on the south side, and was established in the year 1904. The abattoir is substantial and up-to-date in every respect, stands on a solid concrete foundation, and consists of the slaughter-house, hanging room, and yards. It has accommodation for thirty carcases of beef and 200 sheep. There are cattle yards and sheep pens adjoining, and an area of forty acres of good land provides page 647 excellent grazing for cattle and sheep. During the month of September, 1907, 132 head of cattle, 373 sheep, sixty-two pigs, and seven calves were dealt with in the abattoir. Three men are constantly employed, and the whole work is supervised by Mr. Mitchell, who holds the positions of municipal abattoir manager and Government meat inspector.
Mr. George Wishart Mitchel was born in County Down, Ireland, in October, 1875, and is the third son of Mr. William Mitchell, sheep-farmer, Colyton, near Feilding. He was educated at the High School in Belfast, and after spending two years in a mercantile office in Annsborough he assisted his father for three years in a drapery business. In 1894 he came to New Zealand with his parents, followed farming pursuits for five years at Colyton with his father, and entered the Government service in the year 1900, as assistant meat inspector at Ngahauranga, near Wellington. He subsequently served in the same capacity in the freezing works in Invercargill and Waitara, and on qualifying in February, 1903, took charge of the Lyttelton Abattoir. Two years later he received his present appointment In Feilding. Mr. Mitchell is married, and has one daughter.