Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



The Aorangi Wyandotte Poultry Farm (J. S. Milson, proprietor), Feilding. This property comprises thirty acres at Aorangi, near Feilding. The land is of excellent quality, and is subdivided into eight paddocks. Some light cropping is done, a herd of fourteen cows is also grazed, and the milk is sent to the factory; but Mr. Milson makes poultry farming his chief industry.

Mr. Jesse Samuel Milson was born in London, England, in the year 1865, and came to New Zealand at nine years of age. He subsequently found employment in a general store and fellmongery in Awahuri, and three years later went to Wanganui, where he was employed in the bakery trade. In 1883 he removed to Feilding, worked in some of the largest general stores (including Cobbe and Darragh's) for ten years, and then started business as a stationer and bookseller in partnership with Mr. Coles, under the style of Messrs. Milson and Coles. This business, after being successfully conducted for a number of years, was sold to Mr. Walker, and Mr. Milson took up his present farm. While in Feilding he was choir-master and a trustee of the Wesleyan Church, a member of the Choral Society and other musical bodies, the School Committee, and the Chamber of Commerce. He served in the Manchester Rifle Volunteers for sixteen years, and gained the long service medal. For nine years he was colour-sergeant of the company. Mr. Milson is married, and has three sons and two daughters.

Leris, photo Mr. J. S. Milson.

Leris, photo
Mr. J. S. Milson.

page 662

The Kohai Dairy Farm, Aorangi, near Feilding. This farm comprises ninety acres of rich level land, and is one of the finest dairying farms in the district. It is highly improved, conveniently sub-divided, and possesses fifteen acres of native bush, which, in addition to being or namental, affords effective shelter. A well-metalled road passes through the farm. There are ten paddocks, each with water running through. The cow shed has a concrete floor and a well-metalled yard, and is kept scrupulously clean; an abundant supply of artesian water being provided by means of a windmill. The milking herd number fifty, and most of the milk is disposed of to private customers in town. The remainder, about four hundred weight per day, is taken to the local factory. The farm also carries a number of horses, pigs, poultry, etc.

Mr. John Wiggins, proprietor of the above farm, was born in England in the year 1852, and came to New Zealand at twenty-one years of age. He settled, with his brother, in the Rangitikei district, but some time afterwards took up a dairy farm at Stony Creek, which he sold out five years later in order to engage in the milk supply business in Palmerston North. After conducting several farms in the Rangitikei district he bought his present property in Feilding. Mr. Wiggins is married, and has five sons and six daughters.