Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Commercial, Industrial, and Professional

Commercial, Industrial, and Professional.

Agents, Etc.

Atkinson, A. H., Limited (A. H. Atkinson and H. Roberts, managing directors), Auctioneers and Grain Merchants, Land, Stock and General Produce Agents, Kimbolton Roád, Feilding. This business was established in 1905 by Mr. Atkinson, and the company was formed in June. 1907, when Mr. Roberts, formerly manager of the Feilding branch of the Union Bank of Australia, Limited, joined the firm. Mr. Roberts, who acts as auctioneer for the firm, holds auction sales every Friday, monthly sales of wool, skin, hides, and tallow, and stock and clearing sales as required. He also attends the annual wool sales held in Wellington, and is a member of the Wellington Wool Brokers' Association.

Barry, J. T., and Company (J. T. Barry), Land, Estate, and Commission Agents, Central Land Agency, corner of Kimbolton Road and Stafford Street, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1902 by the present proprietor. The premises comprise a public and private office, and considerable sales of property are transacted throughout the Dominion.

Mr. John T. Barry was born in Hawke's Bay, where he was educated and brought up to mercantile life, and in 1899 settled in the Feilding district.

Brown and Company (H. P. Brown), Land and Estate Agents, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was founded in October, 1907, and is represented in all the chief centres in the North Island. The firm have a large selection of properties on their lists.

Mr. Harry Percy Brown was born in the year 1875, at Cambridge,
Premises of Messrs. A. H. Atkinson, Limited.

Premises of Messrs. A. H. Atkinson, Limited.

page 649
Messrs. J. T. Barry and Co.'s Premises.

Messrs. J. T. Barry and Co.'s Premises.

England, where he was educated at St. John's College. He afterwards came to New Zealand, and followed farming pursuits for some years successively at Waituna and Apiti. He then joined the Sixth Contingent for service in the South African Boer war. At the close of the war he went to England for six months, and on his return to New Zealand farmed for some years in various parts of the Dominion and Australia, before establishing his present business in Feilding. Mr. Brown is married, and has one son.

Mackay, Ernest O., Land, Estate, and Financial Agent, Fergusson Street, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1903 by Mr. Mackay, who had for some time represented the New Zealand Government Life Insurance Department in Nelson. It has an extensive connection throughout the whole of the North Island, and also acts as agent for the Australian Widows' Fund Life Insurance Society, Limited. Mr. Mackay was born in Nelson, where he was educated and brought up to farming pursuits.

Prior and Caldwell (D. H. Prior and W. O. Caldwell), Land Agents, Fergusson Street, Feilding. In 1905 Mr. Prior established the present business, and was joined by Mr. Caldwell in May, 1907. The firm transact considerable sales of property in Feilding and surrounding districts, and make a special feature of the farming lands in the Gisborne district.

Mr. Dudley H. Prior was born in Feilding, where he was educated. He gained clerical experience in a legal office, and was for three years in the Bank of New South Wales before starting business on his own account.

Lewis, photo.Mr. D. H. Prior.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. D. H. Prior.

Mr. William Olivier Caldwell is a practical farmer, and was for a short time in the New Zealand Government Life Insurance Department before joining the firm of Messrs. Prior and Caldwell.

Young, C. E., and Company (Messrs. Young, Maxwell, and Sorenson). Land, Estate, and General Agents, Feilding. Head office, Wellington. This business was established in Wellington in the year 1906, and in June of the following year the Feilding branch was opened. The firm have agencies all over the Dominion, and have a large number of stations and farms on their books. The proprietors are experienced farmers and business men, and devote their best attention to the interests of their clients.

Builders and Contractors.
Heald, Ralph, Builder and Contractor, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1881 by Mr. Heald, who has erected many buildings in the town, including the new post office. He has four sons in partnership with him, and also employs several tradesmen. Mr. Heald was born in Preston, Lancashire, England, in the year 1852, and is a member of a very old family which can be traced back for 700 years. His father who was also a builder, his grand father, and many other members of the family, resided in the borough of Preston, of which Mr. Heald is a Freeman. After leaving school he spent two years with Mr. Jabez Jones, architect, of Preston, and ther learned the building trade under Mr.
Bunting, photo.Mr. R. Heald.

Bunting, photo.
Mr. R. Heald.

page 650 Robert Saul, with whom he worked for eleven years, latterly as foreman. He subsequently held a similar position with other large building firms until leaving for New Zealand, in 1879, by the ship “Arethusa.” He worked at his trade in various parts of the Dominion until 1886, when he settled in Fellding, and established his present business. Mr. Heald is married, and has six sons and three daughters.

Watts, Walter, Builder and Contractor, Fitzroy Street, Fellding. Mr. Watts has carried on his business since the year 1878, and during that period has built numerous public and private buildings in and around Fellding. He now employs a large number of persons in connection with his business. Mr. Watts was born in Wellington in the year 1844, is one of the oldest New Zealand-born colonists, and had to contend with the difficulties experienced by the early settlers. He was educated at a small private school in Wellington, and learned the trade of a wheelwright under his brother-in-law, Mr. John Fitchett, with whom he spent four years. He then went to Picton, and spent ten years in the saw-milling industry with the late Captain Dalton, latterly as mill manager. He afterwards resigned on account of ill-health, and started business on his own account as a building contractor in Picton. After four years success ful business there he removed to the North Island, and settled in Feilding. He has served on the Borough Council, was chairman of the School Committee, and is a member of the Building Society. Mr. Watts is married, and has ten children, six of whom are public school teachers. Of the other three sons one is a foreman printer, another a painter, and the third a draper in Wellington. His daughter married Mr. Trewin, barrister and solicitor, the present Mayor of Feilding.

Lewis, photo.Mr. W. Watts.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. W. Watts.

Wilkinson, William, Builder and Contractor, Weld Street and Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Private residence, Lytton Street. This business was established in the year 1891, since when it has steadily increased, and now ranks as one of the leading building firms in the district, and employs thirty persons. The workshops contain a complete modern plant for Joinery and woodwork, and there are also a plumbers' workroom (with the latest appliances for the trade) a large office, and a stock room, which carries a heavy stock of builders' ironmongery, etc. Mr. Wilkinson has erected a large number of buildings in the Feilding district, including Sandilands' Buildings, the Land and Loan Company's offices, the Denbigh Hotel, the Union Chambers, Cathew's Buildings, the new Bank of New Zealand, and the Technical School. He was born at Preston, Lancashire, England, in the year 1859, after leaving school was employed for five years in a cotton dressing factory, and was then apprenticed to the building trade. In 1879 he came to New Zealand and settled in Feilding, worked at his trade under his uncle, Mr. F. Pope, for eleven years, and then started business on his own account. Mr. Wilkinson is a Freemason and an Oddfellow, and a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association and the Athletic Club. He is married, and has one son and five daughters.

Lewis, photo.Mr. W. Wilkinson.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. W. Wilkinson.

Coachbuilding.

Aplin, Albert Christopher Stephen, Coachbuilder and Repairer, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was established in 1882 by Mr. George Saywell, and was acquired by Mr. Aplin in the year 1907. The premises consist of a two-storeyed building, with a frontage of 130 feet and a depth of 160 feet, and the various departments are fitted up with the latest and most efficient machinery for turning out first-class work. An extensive business is conducted, and six persons are constantly employed. Mr. Aplin was born in Carterton, Wairarapa, in the year 1877. After leaving school he spent a short time in the grocery business, and then served an apprenticeship to the coachbuilding trade under Messrs. Robinson Brothers and Messrs. Wallace and Masson, of Carterton. He was then employed by the well-known firm of Messrs. Rouse and Hurrell, of Wellington, and in November, 1905, was sent to manage their Feilding branch, which position he held until starting business on his own acount. Mr. Aplin is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, is an Oddfellow, and a member of the Orange lodge. He is married, and has two children.

Decorators and Painters.

Amor, George Prince, Painter, Paperhanger, and House Decorator, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was established by Messrs. Watson Brothers in 1891, and acquired by Mr. Amor in the year 1904. The premises are situated near the Post Office, and carry a large stock of imported paper-hangings, paints, colours, oils, picture framings, and other decorative materials. Mr. Amor conducts a large and increasing business, and gives employment to twelve persons. He was born at Doyleston, Canterbury, in the year 1866, was educated at Leeston, and served an apprenticeship of six years to the painting trade under Mr. W. Taylor, of Ranglora. He then went to the West Coast, where he conducted business in partnership with Mr. Aldridge, in Greymouth, for eighteen months, and afterwards followed his trade successively in Wellington, Petone, Shannon, Palmerston North, Hastings, and page 651 Dannevirke. In the latter town he conducted a successful business for eight years, and then sold out and settled in Feilding. Mr. Amor is a member of the lodge of Freemasons, and the Rowing and Athletic Clubs. He married the second daughter of Mr. A. Hagonson, of Dannevirke, and has three sons and one daughter.

Lewis, photo.Mr. G. P. Amor.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. G. P. Amor.

Creighton, William, Painter, Paperhanger, House Decorator, Signwriter and Glazier, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1902. Mr. Creighton gives constant employment to an efficient staff of workmen, and his work is well known for its style and finish. He was born in the year 1874, in County Down, Ireland, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1880. He was educated at Kyeburn, Central Otago, where his father had taken up land, and afterwards assisted on the farm. In 1894 he removed to Takapau, Hawke's Bay, and after some time there took up an agency for the Beale Sewing Machine. He subsequently resigned this position and settled in Feilding, where he worked for Messrs. Watson Brothers until starting business on his own account. Mr. Creighton is junior warden in the local lodge of Freemasons, a member of the Orders of Oddfellows and Druids, and a Past Grand Master of the Loyal Orange Institution for the North Island. He married Miss A. Humphries, of Feilding, and has two sons and two daughters.

Lewis, photo.Mr. W. Creighton.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. W. Creighton.

Drapers, Tailors, Etc.

Percival, Walter Henry, Ladies' and Gentlemen's Tailor, Macarthur Street, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1906. The premises are modern and well lighted, and comprise a spacious and well-stocked shop (with two large plate-glass windows), and two workrooms. The proprietor maintains a considerable stock of ladies' costume and gentlemen's tailoring materials, and has established a good name for the cut and finish of his work. Eight persons are employed in the business. Mr. Percival was born in Christchurch in the year 1872, and after leaving school was apprenticed to the tailoring trade. He followed his trade for some years in Christchurch, and then removed to Wellington, where he was employed successively by Messrs. Kirkaldie and Stains, King and Muir, and Veitch and Allan, until he established his present business in Feilding. Mr. Percival is a member of the Choral Society, the Wesleyan Church Choir, the Fire Brigade, the Agricultural and Pastoral Asociation, and the Order of Oddfellows.

Sutton, A. H., and Company, Drapers, Milliners, and Clothiers, corner of Fergusson and Manchester Streets, Feilding. This business was established many years ago, and acquired by the present firm in March, 1905. The premises consist of a two-storeyed building, with plate-glass windows. The ground floor includes a large, well-lighted show room, the hosiery, fancy, haberdashery, dress, Manchester, and clothing departments, in which the stock is tastefully arranged. The first floor contains the fitting rooms, waiting rooms, dressmaking and millinery workrooms, a reserve stock room, and a suite of offices, including the proprietor's private office, which is connected by a speaking tube with the ground floor. The firm are direct importers, Messrs. John Foden and Company are their London buyers, and they import only first-class materials. They have a good country connection, and employ twelve persons in connection with their business.

Mr. Arthur Hillier Sutton was born in the year 1878 in Masterton, where he was educated. After a few years' experience in the office, and afterwards in the drapery department of the Wairarapa Farmers' Cooperative Association and then in the Napier branch of Messrs. Hallenstein Brothers, he accepted a position in the dress department, and afterwards in charge of the fancy, glove, hosiery and haberdashery departments at Messrs. James Smith and Sons, of Wellington. Four years later Mr. Sutton went to England to gain further experience in the trade, and for two years was employed successively in the Bon Marche (Brixton), Mr. F. Penberthy's (Oxford Street), and Messrs. Thomas Wallis and Company Limited (Holborn, London). He then went to Paris for a short time, and on his return to New Zealand was employed again by Messrs. J. Smith and Sons, of Wellington, and subsequently acquired his present business in Feilding.

Lewis, photo.Mr. A. H. Sutton.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. A. H. Sutton.

page 652
Furniture Trade.

Aitken and Evans (C. B. Aitken and T. J. Evans). Cabinet makers and Upholsterers, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was established as the furniture department of the Feilding United Farmers' Co-operative Association. It was taken over in 1903 by Messrs. Aitken and Evans, who soon afterwards acquired a site, which extends from Kimbolton Road to Macarthur Street, and erected the present handsome premises. These comprise two large buildings, namely, the shop and polishing room (measuring thirty feet by 132 feet), a workshop and factory. The factory is a two-storeyed building, and contains the cabinetmaking, furniture, manufacturing, and upholstering departments. The firm have an up-to-date plant of wood-working machinery driven by a twelve-horse power gas engine. Their manufactures include furniture, cabinetware, bedding, upholstery, picture framing, and other smaller lines, and the firm are also direct importers of furniture, ironmongery, brassware, bedsteads, linoleums, bevelled-edged mirrors, toiletware, etc. The show-room, with two large plate-glass windows, carries an excellent stock of the firm's manufactured and imported goods. Messrs, Aitken and Evans make a specialty of the packing and removal of private furniture, and are entrusted with a large amount of work.

Mr. Charles Bray Aitken was born in Nelson in the year 1872. He was educated at Feilding, afterwards spent four years in the stationery business, and then learned his present trade under Mr. Alfred Eade, with whom he spent nine years. He was subsequently employed by the United Farmers' Co-operative Association, and in partnership with Mr. Evans manufactured on wholesale lines for the association, from which developed their present independent firm. Mr. Aitken is colour-sergeant in the Manchester Rifles, secretary of the Feilding Brass Band, treasurer of the lodge of Oddfellows, and a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association and the Feilding Athletic Club.

Mr. Thomas James Evans was born in the year 1875 in Feilding, where he was educated and brought up to clerical life. He served an apprenticeship to his present trade under Mr. W. G. Shearer, and then spent six years in the employment of the United Farmers' Co-operative Association, latterly in partnership with Mr. Aitken, as wholesale manufacturer for the association. Mr. Evans is treasurer of the local lodge of Foresters, and a member of the Agricultural Association.

Williamson, Douglas Robert Fraser, Furniture, Sash and Door, Venetian and Roller Blind Manufacturer, Turner and Undertaker, Feilding. This business was conducted for many years by Mr. Frederick Pope, and later by Mr. Robinson, and was taken over by the present proprietor in June, 1907. The factory contains a full plant of wood-working machinery, driven by a powerful gas engine, and six persons are employed in the business. Wood work of all kinds is undertaken, and the class of work turned out does great credit to the establishment. Mr. Williamson was born in Napier in the year 1885, educated at the Feilding District School, served an apprenticeship to the building trade, and subsequently started business on his own account. He is a member of the Order of Foresters, the Beautifying Society, the Fire Brigade, and the Band.

Hair-Dresser and Tobacconist.

Mercer, P. A., Hair-dresser, Tobacconist and Fancy Goods Dealer. Fergusson Street, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1899 by Mr. Mercer, senior, and was taken over by his son in 1903. The building is of brick, with a verandah, two fine show windows, and a well-appointed saloon. The hair-dressing saloon is handsomely equipped with three up-to-date chairs; on one side are three plate-glass mirrors, each seven feet by five feet, and on the other is a large mirror-backed toilet counter, with heavy marble slab. A billiard saloon, which is well lighted and has two of Alcock's large tables, is conducted in connection with the business. Mr. Mercer was born in Marton, where he was educated, and learned his trade under his father. He is a member of the Orchestral Society and the Choral Society.

Lewis, photo.Mr. P. A. Mercer's Premises.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. P. A. Mercer's Premises.

Lewis, photo.Mr. P. A. Mercer.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. P. A. Mercer.

Hotels and Boarding Houses.

Commercial Exchange Private Hotel (S. Kirk, proprietor), corner of Fergusson Street and Macarthur Street, Feilding. This hostelry was established in the year 1905, and was acquired by the present proprietor page 653 in the year 1907. The building is of brick, two storeys in height, and contains fifty rooms, including thirty-nine bedrooms. On the first floor are three sitting rooms, a commercial room, an office, besides bedrooms, and the bathrooms, with hot and cold water laid on. The dining room (with seating accommodation for sixty guests) and a smoking room are on the ground floor.

Mr. Samuel Kirk was born in Auckland, where he was educated. He subsequently removed to Feilding. and for thirteen years acted as mail contractor between Feilding and Colyton, before taking over the “Commercial Exchange.”

Mr. and Mrs. S. Kirk.

Mr. and Mrs. S. Kirk.

The Endymion Hotel, Awahuri, near Feilding, is a large two storeyed building, and contains twenty-five rooms. On the ground floor there are three sitting rooms, a dining room (with accommodation for twenty-five guests), a billiard room, and a large bar. The first floor contains the bedrooms, all of which are well-appointed apartments. There are also large stables and grazing paddocks in connection with the hotel. The best brands of wines and liquors are stocked, and an excellent table is kept. The hotel is well furnished and lighted throughout by a private installation of acetylene gas. The Endymion Hotel is situated in a prosperous farming district, nd is the stopping place for all the coaches that connect Feilding with the small outlying places.

Mr. Enoch Crosby, proprietor of the Endymion Hotel, was born in Lincolnshire, England, in the year 1868, and after leaving school spent some years in the wholesale fruit business in Manchester and London. He came to New Zealand in 1892, and after spending five years on a sheep station at Bulls, went into the hotel business. He first conducted the Makuri Hotel, in the forty-mile bush, and afterwards acquired the Prince of Wales Hotel, in Wellington. In 1899 he visited England, and on his return was engaged in farming for a few years before taking over the “Endymion” in the year 1907. Mr. Crosby is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and owns a fine pair of bay ponies, which hold an unbroken record in the Palmerston show ring. He is married, and has six daughters.

Williams' Empire Hotel (W. J. Williams, proprietor), corner of Fergusson Street and Stafford Street. Feilding. This hostelry, which is near the railway station, is a two-storeyed wood and iron building, and contains thirty rooms, including eighteen bedrooms, two sitting rooms, commercial and writing rooms, the dining room (capable of seating forty guests), and a well-furnished drawing room. In an adjacent building there are six bedrooms and a sample room. The Empire Hotel is patronised by a large number of guests, and a night porter is kept. There are good stables, with sixteen stalls and seven loose boxes.

Commercial Exchange Hotel.

Commercial Exchange Hotel.

Mr. William John Williams, proprietor of the Empire Hotel, was born in Harwarden, Wales, came to New Zealand in 1880, and landed in Auckland. Two years later he removed to Wellington, where he remained for sixteen years on the staff of Messrs. Levin and Company. He was afterwards proprietor of the Central Hotel, Petone, for five years. As a volunteer Mr. Williams was a member of the Wellington Navals for over sixteen years. In 1890 he became champion rifle shot of the Dominion, and was a member of the first Bisley Rifle Team from New Zealand. He is also a coursing enthusiast, has won four cups and the Blue Ribbon of the Dominion, the page 654 Waterloo Cup of 1907, and has also gained numerous trophies in rowing and shooting contests.

The Feilding Refreshment Rooms (A. J. Hart, proprietor), Manchester Street, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1901 by Mr. W. E. Grantham, and was taken over by the present proprietor in June, 1906. The premises occupy a valuable site on the busiest part of the street, and consist of a two-storeyed brick building, with a frontage of thirty-three feet. A large shop occupies the fore part of the premises, behind which is situated a dining room, which is capable of seating sixty guests. Two waitresses are employed, and the dining room is open from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m., and until 10.30 p.m. on Saturdays. The rooms are well appointed, furnished in excellent style, and kept scrupulously clean. The business is under the personal supervision of Mr. and Mrs. Hart, who exercise great care in attending to the needs and wishes of their patrons. There is a detached bakehouse, office, etc. The bake house, has a large oven (capable of holding 300 loaves), a large cake and sponge mixer, and all modern appliances for the trade. Mr. Hart is also a popular caterer, and has made a good name for himself in this connection, wedding cakes being a specialty.

Mr. Alfred John Hart, the proprietor of the Feilding Refreshment Rooms, was born in the year 1882 in New Plymouth, where he was educated at the Convent School, and afterwards served an apprenticeship of three years to the printing trade, and subsequently learned the bakery trade under Mr. P. Leyland. He found employment successively in Wellington, Feilding, Wanganui, Hastings, and Palmerston North, before starting in business on his own account. Mr. Hart is a member of the Fire Brigade, the Orders of Oddfellows and Druids, the Bowling Club, and the Agricultural and Pastoral Association. In the year 1894 he married Miss Webb, of Wanganui, and has one son.

Lewis, photo.Mr. A. J. Hart.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. A. J. Hart.

Ironmongers and Cycle Importers, Etc.

The Feilding Plumbing Works (W. Dalton, proprietor). Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1902, and has since become one of the leading establishments of the kind in the district. The premises consist of a large well-appointed shop and a manufacturing room. A large stock of plumbing materials, baths, sanitary fittings, spouting, ridging, galvanised goods and brassware is carried. In the work-room there is an up-to-date plant for the manufacture of spouting. The business has a good connection, and seven tradesmen are constantly employed.

Mr. William Dalton, proprietor of the Feilding Plumbing Works, was born in Dalton-in-Furness, Lancashire, England, in March, 1864. After leaving school he spent two years at the plumbing trade in Manchester, and in the year 1875 came to New Zealand. He found employment for a short time with his brother in Christchurch, and then worked as a journeyman in various parts of the Dominion and Australia for some years. In 1892 he returned to New Zealand, and for ten years conducted a successful business on his own account at Stratford, Taranaki. Subsequently, on account of ill-health, he removed to Feilding, and established his present business. Mr. Dalton is a staunch protectionist, and an advocate of encouragement to local industries. He is a member of the Masonic Order, the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and the Athletic Club. He is married, and has one son and one daughter.

Lewis, photo.Mr. W. Dalton.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. W. Dalton.

Turner, George, Plumber, Gasfitter, Tinsmith, and Electrical Engineer, Feilding. Mr. Turner was born in the year 1878 in Edinburgh, Scotland, where he was educated and apprenticed to his present trade. After working at his trade for eleven years in Edinburgh, he came to New Zealand in 1903. For a short time he found employment in Wellington, and was then appointed manager of the plumbing department of the Feilding Gas Company, which position he resigned to start business on his own account. Mr. Turner has been entrusted with a large amount of important work in the plumbing and electrical light and bell-fitting lines, notably that connected with the Denbigh and Feilding hotels, Messrs. John Cobbe's, and Joseph Darragh's premises, and the Bank of New Zealand page 655 He is married, and has two children.

Lewis, photo.Mr. G. Turner.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. G. Turner.

Garrett, George Harry, Cycle Engineer and Importer, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Branch business at Hunterville. The Feilding business was established in the year 1905. The premises, which measure twenty-one feet by seventy-five feet, comprise a large front shop and show room, and a repairing, enamelling, lathe, and fitting room. The showroom carries a large stock of Birmingham Small Arms, Royal Enfield, Red Bird, Massey-Harris, and Hans-worth bicycles, and also motor cycles (N.S.U.), which latter are sold at £50. Mr. Garrett is a direct importer, and also carries a large stock of accessories. The workrooms are fitted up with the latest appliances, and five persons are constantly employed in the business. The Hunterville branch was opened in November, 1907. Mr. Garrett was born in the year 1879 in Newton, Auckland, where he was educated, and served an apprenticeship of five years under Mr. Peter A. Smith. He then went to Christchurch, where he was employed for four years by the leading cycle, engineering, and importing firms. In 1903 he was engaged as manager of a cycle business in Walmate, South Canterbury, for Mr. S. Clark, and remained there until starting business on his own account in Feilding. Mr. Garrett is a member of the Bowling. Golf, and Tennis Clubs, and the Rangitikei Club.

Watson and Neville (W. B. Watson and H. W. Neville), Cycle Importers, Fergusson Street, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1905 by Mr. Watson, who was joined in partnership in July, 1907, by Mr. Neville. The premises consist of a commodious shop and showroom, specially fitted up and appointed for the purpose. The firm make a fine display in their show room, of ladies', gentlemen's, and children's machines, the Birmingham Small Arms being the chief bicycle in stock. At the rear of the shop is a fine building and repairing room, and expert tradesmen are constantly employed. A large stock of accessories is kept, also Edison phonographs, and the latest records.

Mr. William Browning Watson, senior partner of Messrs, Watson and Neville, was born at Papanui, Christchurch, in the year 1879, and after leaving school spent some time in farming pursuits. He subsequently gained a thorough experience of the bicycle trade, and then started his present business in Feilding. Mr. Watson is secretary of the Baptist Church, and a member of the Ancient Order of Druids.

Mr. Herbert William Neville, of the firm of Messrs. Watson and Neville, was born in London in the year 1882, was educated at Holloway High School, and afterwards spent some years in the employment of the London branch of the American Debt Collecting Agency. He then went to South Africa as sergeant of the Scot's Mounted Rifles, and three years later returned to England. In 1906 he came to New Zealand, and in the following year joined his partner in their present business. Mr. Neville is a member of the local lodge of Druids and other organisations.

Leather Trade.

Dunbar, Alexander, Manufacturing Saddler, The Square, Feilding. Mr. Dunbar was born in Nairn, Scotland, in the year 1852, was educated at the Glasgow Normal and High Schools, and afterwards served an apprenticeship to the saddlery trade in Dundee. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1868 by the ship “Hydaspes” (Captain Babot), and found employment as a journeyman. In the year 1870 he started business on his own account in Christchurch, which he successfully conducted for twelve years. He then sold out, and took over the Rotherfield Hotel, in Christchurch, where he remained for four years. Mr. Dunbar then removed to the West Coast, and for eighteen years conducted a large business in Reefton. In 1905 he went to Feilding and established his present business. Mr. Dunbar was for some time the Heathcote representative on the Christchurch Drainage Board, and a member of the Heathcote School Committee. While on the West Coast he was handicapper of the Westport and Reefton Jockey Clubs. Mr. Dunbar married a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Wilson, proprietor of the Heathcote Tannery, Christchurch, and has two sons and four daughters.

Lewis, photo.Mr. A. Dunbar.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. A. Dunbar.

Neill, William John, Saddler and Harness Manufacturer and Importer, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1887 by Mr. R. R. Collins, and acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1897. The premises adjoin the Post Office, and consist of a large shop (with a fine display of harness and saddlery), and a well-fitted work-room at the rear. Mr. Neill is a direct importer and manufacturer of all kinds of harness and saddlery. Expert tradesmen are employed, and the work turned out invariably gives satisfaction. Mr. Neill was born in Wellington in the year 1856, and after leaving school was apprenticed to the saddlery trade under Mr. John Clark, of Wanganui. He afterwards conducted business on his own account for some time in Wanganui and Patea, then went to Sandon, where he worked as a journeyman for fifteen years for the late Mr. Henry Sanson, and subsequently bought the business. This he conducted for five years, and then sold out and settled in Feilding. Mr. Neill is a well-known volunteer and bandsman. He served in the page 656 Wanganui Rifle Corps, was a member of the Wanganui Band, the founder of the Patea Brass Band, and the Patea Volunteer Corps. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church Choir and the Operatic Society; is closely connected with athletic matters, is a member of the Jockey Club, the Beautifying Society, the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the lodge of Freemasons, and treasurer of the Rangitikei Club. Mr. Neill is married, and has four sons and two daughters.

Meat Trade.

The Feilding Cash Meat Mart (A. P. Pritchard, proprietor), Fergusson Street, Feilding. This business, which is one of the best of its kind in the district, has an exceptionally smart-looking shop, and the general cleanliness of the whole establishment is very noticeable. The shop is painted white, and has solid concrete floors, imitation tiled walls, marble counters, and contains the most up-to-date fittings and appliances, including computing scales, cash register, and American block. A well-appointed office is situated on the left hand side of the shop entrance, and at the rear is a commodious manufacturing room (thirty feet by twenty-five feet), furnished with a three and a half-horse power gas engine, a sausage machine, a large size power mincer, and a double set of boilers. There is also a brick smoke house, with hot and cold water laid on. A large yard at the back contains a four-stall stable and cartshed. Mr. Pritchard buys only the best quality of sheep and cattle, and a good trade is done in Feilding and the surrounding districts. Four persons and three carts are employed in the business.

Mr. Alfred Percival Pritchard was born in Havelock, Hawke's Bay, in the year 1874, was educated at Whangarei, and afterwards learned the butchering trade. He subsequently followed his trade in New Plymouth, Wanganui, Wellington, Palmerston North, and Feilding, before acquiring his present business in 1907. He is Visiting Bard of the local lodge of Druids. Mr. Pritchard is married, and has three children.

Gosling, George, Family Butcher, Manchester Street, Feilding. This old and well-established business was acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1905. The premises consist of a large shop and stock room, with a workshop at the rear, which carries a machinery plant driven by a three-horse power oil engine. The business gives employment to four persons, three carts are used in the deliveries, and a large retail trade is done. Mr. Gosling was born in the year 1880, in Staffordshire, England. He was educated at St. Mary's College, in Berkshire, England, and was afterwards engaged as a dealer and butcher until 1900, when he came to New Zealand. For about eighteen months he found employment in Hawke's Bay, then went to England, and on his return, about twelve months later, acquired his present business. Mr. Gosling is married, and has two children.

Nurserymen and Fruiterers.

The Aorangi Nurseries, which are situated at Aorangi, about one mile and a half from Feilding, on the main road to Palmerston North, are among the best known nurseries in the North Island. The nurseries comprise twenty-five acres of rich level land, and were acquired by the present proprietor in July, 1900, under a lease in perpetuity The land was then in a rough unbroken state, and it is due to the energy and enterprise of Mr. Mayo that it is now in such an advanced condition. The area is divided into six paddocks by macrocarpa and pine hedges, and sixteen acres of welldrained land are under cultivation. Twelve acres are devoted to fruit trees of the best varieties, including peaches, pears, plums, and apples. Shelter, ornamental trees, and shrubs are grown in considerable quantities, and cherries and tomatoes are also carefully cultivated, the product of the latter crop in 1906 being over five tons. Vegetables and shrubs are grown amongst the fruit trees. Seedlings and flowers are cultivated to some extent in the front part of the orchard, where there is also a large hot house. There are up-to-date packing sheds, an office, and a private residence (connected by telephone with Feilding). Fruit is sent to all parts of the province, and supplied to local fruiterers.

Entrance to Aorangi Nurseries.

Entrance to Aorangi Nurseries.

A Sea-Eagele Peach Tree: Aorangi Nurseries.

A Sea-Eagele Peach Tree:
Aorangi Nurseries.

Mr. Alfred Richard Mayo, proprietor of the Aorangi Nurseries, was born in Bombay, Auckland, in the page 657 year 1867, and is the eldest son of Mr. Joseph Mayo, formerly Government pomologist. He was educated at the public schools at Bombay and Drury, and was then engaged in his father's nursery for some years. He then removed to Palmerston North, and assisted his father (who at that time was conducting an orchard and nurseries under the style of Messrs. Joseph Mayo and Sons), until 1900, when he took over the nursery portion and at the same time bought the site of his present orchards at Aorangi. The former he soon afterwards sold, and has since devoted his whole time to the Aorangi Nurseries. Mr. Mayo is chairman of the Taonui School Committee, a committeeman of the Feilding Agricultural and Pastoral Association, a member of the Palmerston North Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Feilding Technical School Committee, the Horticultural Society, the Farmers' Union, and the Lodge of Foresters. He is married, and has four daughters.

Bunting, photo.Mr. A. R. Mayo.

Bunting, photo.
Mr. A. R. Mayo.

The Sherwood Nurseries (J. Weightman and Son), Awahuri, near Feilding, were established in the early “eighties” as a small fruit and vegetable garden, and from that time have steadily developed until they now rank among the finest orchards and nurseries in the Dominion. The area is fifty acres, but as yet only twenty acres are under cultivation. The nurseries are well drained, and divided by hedges into four sections, well sheltered by macrocarpas and eucalyptus trees. The orchard contains a large selection of plum trees,' pear trees, and apple trees, besides ornamental trees and shrubs. There are a great many varieties of chrysanthemums, cactus dahlias, and Japanese flowering cherries, and over 380 different classes of roses, in the cultivation of which Mr. Weightman is known throughout the Dominion. He is a prominent exhibitor in all the important shows, and is the possessor of a very large number of trophies and prizes, especially for roses, with which he is rarely beaten. There are two residences on the property, an office, and up-to-date packing sheds.

Mr. William Edward Weightman, proprietor of the Sherwood Nurseries, was born in the year 1869 at Darlton, Nottinghamshire, England, and is the eldest son of Mr. Joseph Weightman, the founder of the nurseries. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1878, and settled in Awahuri, where he completed his education. He then assisted his father in the nurseries until 1894, when he entered into partnership, and in 1899 took over the nurseries on his own account. Mr. Weightman had made a special study of his business, and has conducted it with success. He is a member of horticultural societies in various parts of the Dominion, and a member of the Feilding Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Weightman is married, and has two daughters.

Printers and Stationers.

Fisher, Edward H., General Printer, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1898. The premises consist of a wood and iron building, containing the office, composing room, and printing room. The machinery is driven by a gas engine, and the plant is fully equipped.

Maclean, Alfred Herbert, Bookseller, Stationer, Fancy Goods and Music Dealer, Manchester Street, Feilding. The premises comprise a large double shop, with plate-glass windows, and an office. The stock includes all the leading English and Colonial books, newspapers, and magazines, also musical instruments, book and sheet music, fancy goods, hockey, cricket and football requisites, etc. Mr. Maclean is agent for Messrs. Collier and Company, is also a direct importer, and keeps his extensive and varied stock thoroughly up-to-date. In conjunction with the town business he conducts a book stall on the Feilding railway station. Mr. Maclean was born in Wellington in the year 1875, and was educated at the public schools. He was subsequently engaged in various pursuits until he acquired his present business in 1903. For some years Mr. Maclean was a member of the Manawatu Mounted Rifles, and served with the Seventh Contingent in the South African Boer war.

Lewis, photo.Mr. A. H. Maclean.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. A. H. Maclean.

Walker, Alfred George (late Milson and Coles), Bookseller, Stationer, and Fancy Goods Dealer, The Square, Feilding. This business was
Lewis, photo.Mr. A. G. Walker.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. A. G. Walker.

page 658 established in the early “nineties.” and the present premises were taken over in 1905. Two large plate-glass windows face the street, and give an attractive display of a well-selected stock. Mr. Walker is a large importer, and carries a heavy stock of books of all kinds, stationery, periodicals, newspapers, post cards, photographic requisites, fancy goods, and art needlework; and is local agent for the Pauline Paper Company, Wilcox Smith, of Dunedin, foreign stamp dealers, and the Dresden Piano Company. He keeps in close touch with the latest literature in the British and American markets, and the stock is kept thoroughly up-to-date. Mr. Walker was born in Nelson in the year 1871; his father was a master mariner, and the first man to sail a ship. “The Supply,” into the Westport Harbour. After leaving school he was apprenticed to the ironmongery trade under Messrs. Wilkins and Field, of Nelson, with whom he remained for thirteen years and a half, latterly as chief traveller for their Wellington house. He then spent seven years as fancy goods traveller for Messrs. Sargood, Sons, and Ewen, of Wellington, which position he resigned to take up his present business.
Storekeepers.

Phillips, William Francis, Grocer and General Storekeeper, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This business was established in the year 1905 by the late Mr. W. F. Phillips, junior, and was subsequently taken over by Mr. Phillips, senior, in the year 1906. The building is of wood, and is well adapted for the trade. A large general stock is kept, the goods are fresh and well kept, and a considerable cash business is done. Mr. Phillips was born in Warslaw, Staffordshire, England, in the year 1842, and after leaving school found employment in the Ecton copper mines, the Dale lead mines, the ironstone mines in Yorkshire, and in the railway service. In 1874 he came to New Zealand and settled in Feilding. For two years he was employed by the corporation, and then took up land on his own account between the township and Awahuri. This was then rough country in its virgin state, and Mr. Phillips had many years of hard pioneering work before a home was made. He has always taken a keen interest in the advancement of the district, and is a shareholder in various industrial undertakings. He married Miss Elizabeth Jane Moreland in the year 1870, and has three sons and four daughters.

Sundry Manufacturers.

The Feilding Gas Company, Limited, has its headquarters in Kimbolton Road, and its works at the rear of the railway station, Beattle Street. Directors: Messrs. J. M. Richardson (chairman), A. R. Meek, C. Smith, and Dr. Fell. The company was established in the year 1897, and the streets of the town were lighted in the same year. Various additions have been made from time to time, and at present (1908) the company are contemplating making improvements and extensions to the extent of several thousand pounds. The works comprise two gasometers (capable of holding 33,000 cubic feet of gas), four sets of purifiers, besides boiler, engines, exhauster, condenser, and scrubber, together with carbonizing settings of the generator type, and the usual station meter and governor. There are about 400 consumers using gas for lighting, cooking, and power purposes.

Manager and Staff of the Feilding Gas Company.

Manager and Staff of the Feilding Gas Company.

Mr. George William Healey was appointed manager and secretary of the Feilding Gas Company, Limited, in the year 1907. He was born in Manchester, England, in May, 1877, and is a son of Mr. William Healey, sanitary and gas engineer, of Timaru. He was educated at the Timaru Main School, afterwards served five years in his father's business, which, he left to take up a position with Messrs. J. Ogilvie and Company. Oamaru, and subsequently entered the service of the gas department of the Dunedin city corporation. Twelve years later he resigned his position as foreman in order to accept his present appointment. Mr. Healey is a member of the Order of Oddfellows, and the Athletic and Feilding Clubs.

Wheel Traffic.

The New Zealand Farmers' Motor Company, Limited (E. J. Wackrill, business manager and secretary; H. Stewart, works manager page 659 and engineer), Kimbolton Road, Feilding. This important firm was incorporated on the 1st of June, 1907, and is one of the strongest combinations of farmers for commercial purposes in the Dominion. The object of the firm was to bring into existence a large and thoroughly up-to-date business, confined almost solely to the importation, manufacture, sale, and repairing of motors and motor requisites. Immediately on the formation of the firm the chairman of directors, Mr. Ernest Short, together with the chief engineer, Mr. Stewart, made a trip round the world for the purpose of securing agencies and an up-to-date stock. As a result of this trip they are now holding the best agencies in motors, and everything pertaining thereto, and carry a stock that is second to none in the Dominion. The premises, which were erected by Mr. Theodore West, under the supervision of Mr. Alexander James, comprise one of the most up-to-date and elaborate motor garages in Australasia. Every department is distinct and replete with the very latest appointments. The showroom and shop, which opens to the street by large folding doors, measures sixty-six feet by eighty feet, and carries a most attractive display of the firm's stock. At the rear of this are commodious building, repairing, and engineering rooms, with the latest machinery and appliances. On one side of the showroom is the club room and head-quarters of the Rangitikei and Manawatu Motor Club, and the ladies' room, which is furnished and appointed in exquisite style. On the opposite side of the showroom are other apartments, notably the manager's offices, The object of the firm is to supply direct from the manufacturer “everything for the motorist.” They are sole New Zealand' agents for the following celebrated make of cars: Weigel, Decauville, New Arrol-Johnston, Singer and Alldays'; also new Arrol-Johnston motor lorries and delivery vans, and Savage Brothers' steam waggons. Their stock of accessories and sundries, which includes, besides ordinary and electrical fittings, ladies' and gentlemen's motor clothing, is claimed to be the largest and most complete ever placed before the motoring public of New Zealand. In addition to ordinary repairs, the firm have a complete electrical plant for re-charging, and also for retreading and vulcanizing plants. Prices in every department of the business have been made specially moderate, and the utmost trust may safely be placed in the workmanship and business transactions of the firm. Besides motor specialists the firm are general engineers, having taken over the business formerly conducted by Mr. Stewart, and in this department they are principally employed in Government and private railway work. Altogether about fifteen persons are at present employed, and the business, which was officially opened only on the 23rd December, 1907, promises exceedingly well.

Showroom of the New Zealand Farmers' Motor Company Limited.

Showroom of the New Zealand Farmers' Motor Company Limited.

Mr. Ernest John Wackrill, Manager and Secretary of the New Zealand Farmers' Motor Company, Limited, was born in London, England, in the year 1871, and was educated at Wimbledon Grammar School. He then received a sound commercial training in his father's firm, Messrs. Cornwall and Wackrill, colliery agents and coal merchants, of which he was latterly one of the managers. in 1900 he came to New Zealand, and for some time was engaged in accountancy work and land agency business, prior to receiving his present appointment. Mr. Wackrill was one of the organisers of the local industrial exhibition of 1902, is a committeeman of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and the Feilding Public Library, was for some time a member of the High School Committee, and is a keen amateur photographer.

Lewis, photo. Mr. E. J. Wackrill.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. E. J. Wackrill.

Mr. Harold Stewart, Works Manager and Engineer of the New Zealand Farmers' Motor Company, Limited, was born in New Zealand and educated at the Wanganui College. His professional training was gained in the Dominion and in several of the larger engineering works in England.

The Denbigh Stables (D. Younger, proprietor), Feilding. These stables were established in the “eighties,” and acquired by the present proprietor in 1893. They are situated at the rear of the Denbigh Hotel, and contain accommodation for 100 horses. The plant consists of six gigs, two cabs, a hearse, an ambulance waggon, and several page 660 buggies; and a first-class turn-out can always be relied upon.

Mr. David Younger was born in the year 1857 in Fifeshire, Scotland, where he was educated and brought up to farming pursuits. In 1877 he came to New Zealand, and for a few years was engaged in road formation work for the private corporation that was then laying out the town of Feilding. He subsequently started in business as a general contractor, and was employed in contract work until 1893, when he acquired his present stables. Mr. Younger is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association and of various local clubs. He is married, and has seven children.

The Empire Stables (S. Daw, proprietor), near the Empire Hotel, Feilding. These stables were established many years ago, and acquired by the present proprietor in 1905. The building is of wood, is conveniently appointed, and contains eight stalls and ten loose boxes. Fifteen horses, six rubber-tyred gigs, and several double and single buggies, two coaches, and a waggonette are employed in connection with the business. A daily coach service is maintained between Feilding and Kim-bolton, and Mr. Daw holds the Royal Mail contract for this section.

Mr. Samuel Daw was born in Devonshire, England, in the year 1837, was educated at Exeter, and in 1856 joined the King's Dragoon Guards. In the following year he went to India, served with his regiment for twelve years, chiefly as trumpeter, and in 1874 came to New Zealand. For twelve months he was employed on a sheep station in the Kakaramea district, near Wanganui, and in 1875 settled in Feilding, Mr. Daw has always taken a keen interest in musical matters; in 1880 he founded the Feilding Brass Band, and six years later the Manchester Band, of the latter of which he is still conductor.

The Manchester Stables (J. Belfit. proprietor). The Square, Feilding. These stables were established in the year 1887, and were bought by the present proprietor in October, 1900. The building is of wood, occupies a site of half an acre at the north-east corner of the Square, near the Manchester Hotel, and contains eighty-five stalls, thirteen loose boxes, and ample accommodation for vehicles. Two cabs, two buggies, one dog-cart, six gigs, and a large number of horses are employed in the business. The Manchester Stables are well patronised, and patrons may rely upon obtaining a thoroughly good turn-out. Mr. Belfit personally superintends the management of the stables, and is assisted by six stablemen.

Mr. Joseph Belfit was born at Acton, near London, in the year 1865, and came to New Zealand with his parents at nine years of age. He was educated at Feilding, where his father for many years carried on business as a contractor. After leaving school he spent a few years in the butchery trade, then carried on business for a time as a carter and general carrier, and subsequently sold out to purchase his present stables. Mr. Belfit is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and treasurer of the lodge of Oddfellows. He is married, and has one daughter.

Lewis, photo. Mr. J. Belfit.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. J. Belfit.

The Victoria Stables (W. W. Andrews, proprietor), Kimbolton Road, Feilding. The premises consist of commodious stables, up-to-date in every respect, containing sixty stalls, seven loose boxes and accommodation for vehicles. The plant consists of three laudaus, one victoria, one single-hooded buggy, one double buggy, seven gigs, one rubber-tyred gig, one four-horse drag, one hearse, one ambulance van, and one breaking-in cart. A feature of the business is the breaking-in of young horses to saddle, bridle, and harness, and as many as one hundred horses are put through in a year.

Mr. Walter William Andrews was born in Ipswich, England, in the year 1868, and came to New Zealand with his parents at an early age. He was educated at Te Aute College, Hawke's Bay, and was afterwards employed for a short time in the butchery trade in Napier. He then spent twelve years in the employment of Mr. J. N. Williams, sheep-farmer, of Hastings, and for three years after this farmed on his own account in Palmerston North He subsequently acquired a property about sixteen miles from Dannevirke, and after conducting it for four years sold out to advantage and took over his present stables. Mr. Andrews is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Order of Oddfellows, and the Feilding Club. He is married, and has one daughter.

Watch and Jewellery Trade.

Short, George, Watchmaker and Jeweller, Manchester Street, Feilding. This business was established in Fergusson Street in 1901, but it increased so rapidly that it was found necessary to remove to larger premises, and the present building in Manchester Street was acquired in the year 1907. These premises are up-to-date in every respect, and outclass many shops in much larger towns. There is a plate-glass show window, in which the stock is neatly and conveniently arranged. The interior presents an attractive appearance, with two large show cases and counter cases, all of which are made dust-proof, with plate doors and mirror back. The ceiling is of moulded steel, artistically page 661 picked out. and adds to the appearance of the shop. Mr. Short was born at Mount Stewart, near Sandon, and has lived in the district all his life. After serving an apprenticeship under Mr. H. W. Haybittle, of Palmerston North, he was employed by Mr. A. Chisholm, of Wellington, and Mr. J. J. Gaustad. of Palmerston North. He subsequently returned to the employment of Mr. Haybittle, and successfully managed his business for two years, finally starting business on his own account in Feilding. Mr. Short takes a keen interest in musical matters, being one of the original members of the Palmerston North Orchestral Society, of which body he is justly proud, and considers it a pleasure to cycle twelve miles there and twelve miles back to meet his old friends. He is a double bass player, and is always willing to place his services at the disposal of any local musical entertainment. Mr. Short married the only daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Amon, of Scott Ferry, Bulls.

Lewis, photo. Mr. G. Short.

Lewis, photo.
Mr. G. Short.

Wood Trade.

Bartholomew, George and Company, Limited (G. Bartholomew, managing director). Sawmillers, Sash and Door Manufacturers, and Timber Merchants. Kimbolton Road, Feilding. The firm also have two saw-mills at Matamau, Hawke's Bay, and hold cutting rights over a large area of good rimu bush.

Sash and Door Factory of G. Bartholomew and Company, Limited.

Sash and Door Factory of G. Bartholomew and Company, Limited.

Mr. George Bartholomew was born in Scotland, and comes of a family whose name is closely associated with the timber trade; his father and three uncles were saw-mill proprietors in Queensland and New Zealand. Mr. Bartholomew has resided in Feilding since 1879, with the exception of eight years, during which time he was manager for James Campbell and Son, and engineer at Messrs. Dath, Henderson and Bartholomew's saw-mills, Brisbane, Queensland.

Buntiny, photo.Mr. G. Bartholomew.

Buntiny, photo.
Mr. G. Bartholomew.