The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Maxwelltown is twenty miles north-west from Wanganui, in the electorate of Patea, and in the Waitotara riding of the County of Waitotara, and stands 264 feet above the level of the sea. The district is served by the Okehu and Nukumaru railway flag stations. The population of Maxwelltown at the census of 1906 was 317. The settlement has an hotel, two general stores, and a public school with an average attendance of twenty-five scholars. Services of the Anglican and Presbyterian Churches are held on alternate Sundays by visiting clergymen from Wanganui. There is a Maori pa and a redoubt about half a mile from the township. The business of the post and telephone bureau is conducted at the school house.
Mouton, Frank O. H., Sheep and Dairy Farmer, “Pakaraka,” Maxwelltown. Mr Mouton farms 566 acres of rich pastoral land, and depastures 1,400 sheep and 120 head of cattle throughout the year. The milking is done by machinery. There is a modern homestead on the property, built of wood and iron, containing ten rooms. Mr Mouton was born in England, and educated at Cambridge. He emigrated to New Zealand, landed in Auckland in 1894, and was employed on a farm. In 1896 he returned to England, and was subsequently engaged in tea-planting in Ceylon. Two years later he emigrated to Western Queensland, Australia, and took up a cattle station until 1900. He ultimately returned to New Zealand, and followed farming pursuits until 1905, when he settled at Maxwelltown, in partnership with Mr. Frederick J. Pearse. Mr. Mouton is married, and has two daughters.