Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Hotels and Boarding Houses

Hotels and Boarding Houses.

Albyon House (Mrs E. L. Mayne, proprietress), St. Hill Street, Wanganui. This establishment was founded in the year 1893, and has been conducted by the present proprietress since 1905. The situation is both pleasant and quiet, and but a few minutes' walk from the business centre. The building is of wood and iron, two storeys in height, and contains over thirty rooms, including twenty-six bedrooms, a dining-room (with accommodation for thirty guests), drawing, music, smoking, and private sitting rooms, and a fullyequipped billiard room, which is well lighted. The bath-room has a supply of hot and cold water. Albyon House has earned a reputation for comfort, the cuisine is excellent, and the tariff is moderate.

page 609
Denton, photo.Criterion Boarding House.

Denton, photo.
Criterion Boarding House.

Criterion House (Hunt and Martin, proprietors), Nixon Street, Wanganui. For a great number of years the premises now used as a boarding establishment were known as the Criterion Hotel, which dated from the “fifties.” The hostelry is of two storeys, the older portion of which consists of a wood and iron building, but the more modern portion is in brick. There are thirty-two bedrooms, four comfortable sitting rooms, and a fine dining room, with accommodation for about fifty guests. A first-class table is kept, the cuisine being under the care of an excellent cook, and the tariff is moderate.

Foster's Hotel (John R. Foster, proprietor), Taupo Quay, Wanganui. This well-known and popular hostelry was established in the year 1857, and is a handsome three-storeyed building of brick and wood. On the ground floor there are seven sitting-rooms, including commercial, writing, and club rooms, a handsome dining hall, with accommodation for a large number of guests, and a fine, well-lighted billiard-room, containing one of Alcock's tables. The first and second floors contain sixty-two rooms, including two sitting-rooms and lounge. The hotel is lighted throughout with electric light, and has a splendid independent supply of artesian water. There are also two extensive roofed balconies, which serve as sitting-rooms during the greater part of the year, and from which a magnificent view of the Wanganui river is obtainable. In conjunction with the hotel, the proprietor farms forty-eight acres at Sedgwick, which farm supplies butter, milk, eggs, vegetables, and fruit for the requirements of the hotel.

Foster's Hotel.

Foster's Hotel.

The Metropolitan Hotel (H. H. Mace, proprietor), corner of Taupo Quay and St. Hill Street, Wanganui. This prominent hotel was established in the year 1890, and is a two-storeyed wooden building, containing about fifty-two rooms. A unique feature of the building is a promenade on the roof, commanding a splendid view of the river and town. On the ground floor is a large dining-room (which has accommodation for 100 guests), a sitting-room, a fine commercial room, the private office, and the public and private bars. The first floor contains the bedrooms, three private sitting-rooms, bathrooms (with hot and cold water laid on), and lavatories. The bar, which is a well-appointed apartment, is stocked with the best ales, spirits, and wines. The “Metropolitan” is well managed, every care being taken to meet the special needs and wishes of the guests, and a good table is kept.

Mr Henry Hallett Mace, proprietor of the Metropolitan Hotel, was born in New Plymouth in the year 1870, and is the third son of Captain Mace, a well-known farmer of New Plymouth. He was educated at the State schools, and then turned his attention to storekeeping, which he followed for five years in Inglewood and Stratford, and then started on his own account in the former town. Subsequently he sold out, and for several years was a land agent in New Plymouth. He then conducted the Bunnythorpe Hotel, near Palmerston North, and later took over the “Metropolitan.”

Dention, photo.Mr. H. H. Mace.

Dention, photo.
Mr. H. H. Mace.

The Parkville Private Hotel (J. Hodson, proprietor), Ridgway Street, Wanganui. This hotel is a fine two-storeyed brick building, with ornamental wooden facings and a balcony, and has a frontage of sixty-four page 610 feet to Ridgway Street. The front entrance is by large doublefolding doors opening into a fine hall, twenty feet by sixteen feet. This leads to a well-appointed dining-room, measuring thirty-four feet by forty-four feet, with accommodation for seventy guests. The remainder of the ground floor is occupied by the commercial room (which measures sixteen feet by twenty feet), a writing room, the manager's office, and accommodation for the proprietor and his staff. A broad staircase leads to the upper apartments, which include a private sitting room for ladies, a well-furnished general sitting room, bedrooms, bathrooms (with hot and cold water laid on), and lavatories. The building is lighted by gas, and there are two large three-burner incandescent are lamps on the outside of the hotel. Practically all the comforts and conveniences of civilisation are found in this well-appointed hotel, and fire-escape ladders have been placed in readiness to ensure the safety of guests. A good table is kept, and the tariff is moderate.

The Silver Grid Dining and Supper Rooms (J. Hodson, proprietor), Victoria Avenue, Wanganui. This business was established in the year 1903 by Mr. Hodson. The premises consist of a large general dining room and a private dining room for ladies; together having a seating capacity for seventy persons. By keeping a good table, and paying strict attention to patrons, the business outgrew the building. The proprietor then erected the Parkville Private Hotel, which provides more table room.

The Provincial Hotel (W. R. Tuck, proprietor), Ridgway Street, Wanganui. This hostelry is one of the oldest licensed houses in the town, and was founded in the “sixties.” The present building is a two-storeyed one, and contains about fifty rooms. The house is conveniently appointed, and furnished with excellent taste. On the ground floor are four sitting rooms, a commercial room, the dining room (with accommodation for sixty guests), and the bar. The first floor contains two sitting rooms, the bedrooms, bathrooms, and lavatories. A good table is kept, and the tariff is moderate.

Mr William Robert Tuck, proprietor of the Provincial Hotel, was born in London, England, in the year 1856. He was brought up by his uncle in Liverpool, and educated at Battersea College. As a lad he kept his uncle's books, and at nineteen years of age he emigrated to New Zealand. For a time he conducted a livery stable in Nelson, and afterwards one in Wanganui. Subsequently he took over the Occidental, Newmarket, and Provincial Hotels in turn. Later, he visited England, and on his return bought the Metropolitan Hotel, which he afterwards sold, and acquired the “Provincial.” Mr Tuck is a partner in the firm of Messrs. Swan and Company, local brewers, and is the owner of considerable private property. He has always taken a keen interest in rowing, and will be remembered as Webb's backer in the rowing match for the championship of the world, at Sydney, in 1907.

Mr. F. C. Faber.

Mr. F. C. Faber.

Rutland Hotel (F. C. Faber, proprietor), Corner of Victoria Avenue and Ridgway Street, Wanganui). This fine hotel is one of the largest and most favourably known in the town. In 1904 it was rebuilt in brick, and is three storeys in height, with a tower. It contains about seventy rooms, is thoroughly equipped and up-to-date, and offers all the conveniences of a first-class hotel to tourists, visitors, and commercial men.

Denton, photo.Rutland Hotel.

Denton, photo.
Rutland Hotel.

Victoria Hotel (J. S. Palmer, proprietor), Corner of Victoria Avenue and Maria Place, Wanganui. This fine hotel is well-known to tourists and travellers throughout the Dominion. The building is of wood, iron, and brick, two storeys in height, and contains about fifty rooms, including forty bedrooms, a ladies' drawing room, commercial and writing rooms, two sitting rooms, and a large and well-appointed dining hall.

Mr James Sydney Palmer, proprietor of the Victoria Hotel, was born in London, England, and educated partly in that city and later in Forfarshire, Scotland. He came to New Zealand in the year 1878, settled in Christchurch, and was for twelve years in the railway service. Subsequently he was transferred to Wellington, and held a position in the General Manager's office until 1896, page 611 when he retired to take up an hotel in Feilding. In 1902 he removed to Wanganui, and took over the Victoria Hotel.

Denton, photo.Victoria Hotel.

Denton, photo.
Victoria Hotel.

Wanganui Coffee Palace (Miss Jane Doble, proprietress), Corner of Taupo Quay and Wilson Street (opposite the railway station), Wanganui. Originally the Ship Hotel for many years, in 1902 this handsome building was transformed into a modern boarding establishment, on temperance lines, under the present style. It is of wood and iron, two storeys in height, and contains thirty-nine bedrooms, sitting and smoking rooms, bathrooms (with hot and cold water service), and a commodious dining room, with accommodation for a large number of guests. The Wanganui Coffee Palace is well supported by local residents, as well as by travellers and tourists, the cuisine is good, and the tariff is very moderate.

Denton, photo.Doble's Coffee Palace.

Denton, photo.
Doble's Coffee Palace.