The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Drapers, Tailors, Etc
Drapers, Tailors, Etc.
Buckrell, J. J., Draper, Milliner, Dressmaker, and Tailor, Melbourne House, Victoria Avenue, Wanganui. This business was established in the year 1898, in Victoria House, Victoria Avenue, and was conducted successfully until 1901, when the premises were destroyed by fire. The business was then carried on in a building further up Victoria Avenue. In 1905 Mr Buckrell acquired a lease of his present site, and erected the fine two-storeyed brick building now occupied. The main entrance is between two plate glass show-windows of special design, the ground floor contains the usual soft-goods departments and showrooms. The manufacturing departments are on the first floor—large airy rooms for dressmaking and tailoring—and at the rear of the main building there is good accommodation for unpacking and packing. The building is well lighted throughout. Forty persons are employed in the establishment, and the goods are imported direct from the best markets.
Greenwood, Richard Harry, Merchant Tailor, Victoria Avenue, Wanganui. Mr Greenwood was born in Lancashire, England, in the year 1855, and at an early age emigrated with his parents to Victoria, Australia. After leaving school, at fourteen years of age, he spent two years in a chemist's shop, and was then apprenticed to the tailoring trade under Mr William Reece, Melbourne. He subsequently became traveller for a tailoring establishment in Ballarat. Four years later he resigned, and for about ten years conducted business on his own account in various towns. In 1876 he paid a visit, and in 1907 he came again to the Dominion, and opened his present business. Mr Greenwood is married, and has two children.
Paul, J., and Company (Trustees of the late Joseph Paul), Drapers, Mercers, Clothiers, Milliners, Tailors, Dressmakers, and General Outfitters, Victoria House, Victoria Avenue, Wanganui. This well-known firm was established in the year 1879 in Taupo Quay, but owing to the increase of business Mr Paul bought the quarteracre site in the Avenue, on which the present handsome building was erected in February, 1903. It is a two-storeyed brick building with plate-glass windows. The main entrance is ornamented with tiles and mosaics, and there is a separate door leading into the clothing department. The ground floor contains the showroom, the Manchester, fancy goods, hosiery, haberdashery, and furniture departments, also the large showroom where dresses, mantles, millinery, etc., are tastefully displayed. An archway from the main shop leads into the clothing and tailoring department. At the rear of the building are the unpacking and packing rooms, with every convenience for receiving and despatching. A wide staircase leads to the first floor, where there is a reception room, and luncheon and tearooms, with seating accommodation for 100 guests. Further back on the same floor are the ladies' fitting room, cutting room, various workrooms, and two large reserve stock rooms. The building is well lighted throughout, with well-holes to light the ground floor. Messrs. Paul and Company import direct from the leading English manufacturers, and maintain a large and well-assorted stock in every department.
Mr Robert Gray McNiven, Trustee and Manager of Messrs. J. Paul and Company, was born in Wanganui, where he was educated. He had many years' experience in the firm of Messrs. J. Paul and Company before receiving his present appointment in 1900.
Mr John William Kirby, Accountant and Trustee to the firm of Messrs. J. Paul and Company, is an old and well-tried officer. He came to New Zealand, and was for many years with Mr Paul in business in Wellington and on the West Coast before joining the present firm in Wanganui.