The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Dix and Marchant (T. B. R. Dix and E. Allman-Marchant), Civil Engineers and Surveyors, Ridgway Street, Wanganui. This business was first established by Mr Dix in 1902, and the present offices consist of two large rooms on the first floor of premises in Ridgway Street. Mr Dix was joined in partnership by Mr Allman-Marchant in the year 1906. The firm have a branch office in Raetihi, and the entire staff consist of twelve persons.
Mr Thomas Burman Ross Dix, of the firm of Messrs. Dix and Marchant, was born in Melbourne, Australia, in the year 1876. He was educated in Wellington, afterwards joined the staff of the United Press Association, and two years later was articled to Mr Joseph Anderson, civil engineer and surveyor, Wellington. At the end of his apprenticeship he entered the employment of Messrs. Richardson, Reardon, O'Donahoo, and Seaton, civil engineers and surveyors, Wellington. He resigned this position in 1898 to take charge of the engineering and survey departments of Messrs. John Reid and Sons, Dunedin, where he was engaged in the duplication and extension of the Roslyn tramway lines, and represented the same firm on the goldfields and throughout Otago. He subsequently returned to Wellington under engagement to Mr O'Donahoo, and in 1902 resigned to start business on his own account in Wanganui. Mr Dix is a member of the Astronomical Society, the Chamber of Commerce, the Liedertafel Society, and the Orchestral Society, and is interested in athletics, having won a reputation as a crosscountry runner.
Mr Edgar Allman-Marchant, of the firm of Messrs. Dix and Marchant, was born in Wellington, in the year 1880, and is the fourth son of Mr J. W. Allman-Marchant, late Surveyor-General of the Dominion. He was educated at public schools, the Boys' High School, Christchurch, and the Wellington College. In 1898 he joined the Government Survey Department, and was employed on the Wellington district office and field staff as assistant surveyor until he resigned in 1906 to join Mr Dix in Wanganui.
Muir, Andrew Gray, B.Sc., Surveyor and Civil Engineer, Ridgway Street, Wanganui. This practice was formerly conducted by Messrs. Atkins and Bacon, and was taken over by the present proprietor in 1907. Mr Muir was born in Christchurch, in the year 1875, and is a son of Mr N. C. Muir, clerk to the Amuri County Council, North Canterbury. He was educated at the Christchurch Boys' High School and Canterbury College, where he graduated B.Sc. in 1896. He entered the service of the Government Survey Department, and spent about four years on the West Coast. In 1902 he went to South Africa, where he had four years' valuable experience in civil engineering and surveying in Cape Colony and the Transvaal. Mr Muir returned to New Zealand in 1907, and soon afterwards settled in Wanganui.