Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Storekeepers and Provision Merchants

Storekeepers and Provision Merchants.

Kernohan and Company (John Kernohan), General Storekeepers, corner of Guyton Street and Wicksteed Place, Wanganui. This business was established in the year 1906, and is one of the largest and most popular general stores in Wanganui. The premises occupy a large corner section (with a frontage of sixty-six feet to Guyton Street), and consist of a shop (with double plate glass windows), a convenient office, and grain and produce shed. There is also a bulk store and a stable. A large and complete stock of groceries, produce, crockery, glassware, hardware, patent medicines, etc., is always kept, a considerable part being imported direct. Mr Kernohan's business is on the cash principle. The goods are of the best quality, and are sold at reasonable prices.

Mr John Kernohan was born in the year 1860, in County Antrim, Ireland, where he was educated. He afterwards served his time to the grocery trade in Belfast. In 1879 he came to Australia, worked for nine months at his trade in Sydney, and then removed to Queensland, where he remained for about six years. After a trip to Ireland, he started in business on his own account in Sydney, and two years later was appointed manager of Messrs. Water-worth and Sons, of Melbourne. In 1891 Mr Kernohan came to New Zealand, and worked for about three years with Messrs. Turrell, King, and Company, of Timaru, and later became manager of Messrs. Lowrie and Company's business in Ashburton. Subsequently he became manager for Mr J. T. Cooch, in Wanganui, and four year later he resigned to start on his own account. Mr Kernohan is married, and has two sons and one daughter.

United Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited (Wanganui Branch), Victoria Avenue, Wanganui. Head Office, Palmerston North. The above branch of this well-known company was established about the year 1894. The building occupied is of wood and iron, and contains two large double shop windows, with a verandah in front. The ground floor contains the hardware, crockery, and general stores departments, with offices at the rear. On the first floor are showrooms, and two reserve store rooms, and a full stock in all lines is maintained. A bulk store is located on Taupo Quay, where seeds, grain, general produce, and heavy lines, such as woolpacks, are kept. Goods are delivered by the Association's vehicles up to thirty-five miles inland, and twenty persons are employed. There are a large number of shareholders in the district, and an excellent turnover is done.

Mr Samuel Alfred Meatyard was appointed manager of the Wanganui branch of the United Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited, in the year 1906. He was born at Mornington, Dunedin, but was educated in Palmerston North. On leaving school, he entered the service of the Association, served in various capacities, and finally received his present appointment.

The Wanganui Roller Flour Mills (R. A. Dickie), Wilson Street, Wanganui. The premises consist of a three-storeyed building, in brick and wood, and contain a complete up-to-date three-sack roller plant, driven by a Tangye ten-horse power engine. The mill is kept constantly working, and gives employment to three persons. The flour—of which the brands are “Sunrise” (for bakers' sacks), and “Queen of the Pantry” (small bags)—finds a ready sale in the town and neighbourhood, and “Dickie's Flour” is quite a household word.

Mr Robert Alexander Dickie was born in Canada in the year 1861, and came to New Zealand at an early age. He was educated at the public school, and afterwards entered his father's flour mill, established at Waverley in the year 1875. After spending about twenty-three years there, in partnership with his brother, Mr Dickie removed to Wanganui, and built the local mill, leaving his brother to carry on the mill at Waverley. In October, 1907, the partnership existing between the brothers was dissolved, and the Wanganui Flour Mills are now carried on by Mr R. A. Dickie on his own account.