The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Heat Trade — Wanganui Meat Freezing Company, Limited
Wanganui Meat Freezing Company, Limited (E. A. Campbell, Chairman of Directors, and C. M. Cresswell, Secretary), Head Office, St. Hill Street, Wanganui. This company was established in the year 1892. The works are at Castlecliff, at the mouth of the Wanganui River. The annual output is from 230,000 to 250,000 sheep and lambs, and from 3,000 to 5,000 head of cattle. These supplies are drawn from the surrounding districts. The works stand on ten acres of freehold land, are built of wood and iron, with brick dividing walls, and the plant is modern and fully equipped. The slaughtering capacity is 2000 sheep per day, and the refrigerating chambers are capable of storing 40,000 carcases. Besides meat-freezing, a large trade is done in preserving, tallow refining, fell-mongery, and the manufacture of manure. Two lighters are employed to take the frozen meat from the works to the large ocean liners, which anchor about two miles from the shore. About 1,600 carcases are carried at each trip of the lighters. Besides the large export business, the company has two retail shops in Wanganui, one at Aramoho, and one at Fordell.