The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Bank of New South Wales, Wanganui, is situated in Victoria Avenue, where the branch has been established for many years. The building is a substantial two-storeyed one, and contains a banking chamber, a manager's room and residence. Mr J. C. Campbell, the manager, is assisted by a full staff of officers.
The Bank of Australasia, Waniganui, was opened in the year 1870. The building, in Ridgway Street, was erected about 1877. It consists of two storeys, in wood and iron, and contains a banking chamber, a manager's room, and residence. Mr William M. Smith, who has been manager since 1905, has a staff of eight officers.
The Union Bank of Australia, Ltd., occupies a corner site in Victoria Avenue, at the intersection of Taupo Quay. The branch was opened in 1902. Mr Samuel John Gordon is manager.
The Bank of New Zealand has been represented in Wanganui since the year 1862. The branch is domiciled in a brick building in Victoria Avenue. It contains a banking chamber, manager's room, strong room, and has accommodation for officers of the bank. Mr George Innes, junr., is manager, and is assisted by a staff of thirteen officers.
The National Bank of New Zealand, Limited, Wanganui, occupies an imposing site in Ridgway Street. The building is of brick, and contains a banking chamber and a manager's room. The manager, Mr John Cutfield, who is supported by a strong staff, has been in charge of the bank at Wanganui for many years.