The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Hatherly, Henry Reginald, M.R.C.S. (Eng.), L.R.C.P. (Edin), L.M. and L.S.A. (Lon.). Dr. Hatherly has been practising in Wanganui since 1893. He studied his profession at the Westminster Hospital, and after-wards at Paris. Having filled the offices of house surgeon to the Westminster Hospital and the Derbyshire Infirmary, he settled in Nottingham until 1893, when he left England for New Zealand by the s.s. “Southern Cross.” He was for six years one of the visiting surgeons of the Wanganui Hospital, is honorary surgeon to the Wanganui Hockey Club, and surgeon to the Gaol. He takes a keen interest in music, being for several years past president of the Wanganui Liedertafel, and is an active and well-known member of the Chess and Bowling Clubs.
Dr H. R. Hatherly.
Edgar, Peter Maxwell, M.R.C.V.S., Veterinary Surgeon, Victoria Avenue, Wanganui. Mr Edgar was born in Daventry, Northamptonshire, England, in the year 1868, and is a brother to Dr. Edgar, of Napier. He was educated at Daventry Grammar School, afterwards spent six years on his uncle's farm, and then studied for his profession at the Royal Dicks Veterinary College, Edinburgh, where he graduated M.R.C.V.S. in the year 1895. Mr Edgar then practised for some time in different parts of England. In 1897 he entered the service of the Cape Government, and remained in South Africa for nearly two years. He returned to England in 1898, and was for a time with Mr C. H. Golledge, Sherborne, Dorset. Subsequently he accepted an appointment under the New Zealand Government, and in 1899 came to the Dominion. During the South African Boer war he went with the 4th Contingent, and on returning was appointed by the Government to examine remounts for the later contingents. In 1902 Mr Edgar settled in Wanganui, and, in conjunction with his present practice, is a temporary veterinary officer to the Government. He is also veterinary officer to the Wanganui Jockey Club and the Agricultural Association of Manawatu and Wanganui. In 1900 Mr Edgar married Miss Maud Thompson, third daughter of Mr Arthur Rayne Thompson, Bedford, England. Mrs. Edgar died in September, 1904, at Crow-borough, Sussex, England.
Greenwood, John Charles, Surgeon Dentist, Ingestre Street, Wanganui. Mr. Greenwood was born in the year 1863, and is the second son of Mr John Greenwood, who for many years practised in the Wanganui district, and is now living in retirement in Nelson. He was educated at public schools and college, afterwards studied his profession under his father, and at seventeen years of age became a qualified dentist. For some years he practised with his father in Wanganui, and then started on his own account in New Plymouth, where he remained for about twelve months. In 1890 Mr. Greenwood went to England and America to gain further experience, and on his return to New Zealand took over his father's practice. The apartments consist of a surgery, with up-to-date appliances, and a waiting room and workrooms. A qualified assistant and a nurse are in attendance. Mr Greenwood takes a keen interest in local affairs, is a member of the Rowing Club, the Savage Club, the Golf Club, and the local lodge of Freemasons. He married Miss Clara Dickson, of Auckland, and has two sons and two daughters.
The London Dental Company (W. A. Prowse, proprietor), page 600 Victoria Avenue, Wanganui, was founded in March, 1900, and has since conducted one of the largest dental practices on the Coast, with branches at Marton and Raetihi. The apartments consist of two surgeries, replete with all the most modern appliances, two waiting rooms, and a workroom, and five persons are employed.
Mr Woodley Armstrong Prowse, proprietor of the London Dental Company, was born in New Zealand, and educated at the Auckland University College. He graduated in dentistry under Dr. W. E. Thomas, of Auckland. Mr Prowse is a keen angler, is a member of the Acclimatisation Society and the Lieder-tafel Society.