The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. John Patrick Kenny
Mr. John Patrick Kenny, Secretary and Treasurer of the Napier Harbour Board, joined the Harbour Board's staff as office boy on the 2nd of November, 1885, and fourteen years later, in April, 1899, was appointed to succeed Mr. J. T. Carr, C.E., as secretary and treasurer. He was born at Battersea, Surrey, England, in August, 1871, and is the only surviving son of Mr. Lawrence J. Kenny, now (1906) ganger for the Napier Harbour Board. Mr. Kenny came to New Zealand at twelve years of age, by the ship “Rangitikei,” and transhipped from Auckland to Napier in the s.s. “Southern Cross.” He was educated up to the time of leaving England at the Brothers' School, Battersea, and after his arrival at Napier entered the commercial academy kept by his uncle, the late Mr. John A. Rearden, at Coote Road, Napier. Upon the death of his uncle, Mr. Kenny completed his education at the Brothers' School at Napier. Mr. Kenny is fond of sport, and for years has been patron of the Ahuriri Football Club, the premier club of the province.
Mr. J. P. Kenny.