The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. Charles Hugh Cranby
Mr. Charles Hugh Cranby occupied a seat on the Napier Borough Council for about twelve years, and since 1899 has been a member of the United Hawke's Bay Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, of which body he is now chairman. He was born on the 15th of March, 1852, at Breslau, in Germany, was educated at the Real Schule in his native city, and in 1867 went to sea in the merchant service. During the next few years he was engaged chiefly in the East, and was for some time in charge of a store ship on the Japanese coast. In 1874 he returned to England, and in the same year came to New Zealand. Settling in Napier, he was employed for about ten years in the New Zealand Shipping Company's office, and in 1886, in partnership with Mr. Prebble, established a shipping and general carrying business. Ten years later the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Cranby then carried on business for a short time as a seed, grain, and produce merchant. In 1897, however, his interests were purchased by Messrs Simmonds and Company, and Mr. Cranby has since traded in Browning Street as a shipping and general commission agent, under the style of C. H. Cranby and Co. He represents the Huddart Parker Line, the Federal-Houlder-Shire Line, the North Queensland Insurance Co., the New Zealand Flour Millers' Association, the New Zealand Portland Cement Co., and a number of other valuable agencies.
Mr. C. H. Cranby.