The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. John Stentiford Welsman
Mr. John Stentiford Welsman, who was a member of the Napier Borough Council for a number of years, was born in Devonshire, England, in the year 1843, and is a son of the late Mr. Thomas Welsman, who came with his family to Auckland in 1858, by the ship “Egmont.” He was educated partly in a public school in England, and partly by private tuition in Auckland, was apprenticed to the late Mr. H. Potter, chemist and druggist, in Auckland, and set up in business on his own account in 1861, in Queen Street. Mr. Welsman sold out in 1877, and established himself as a chemist in Napier. For many years he was superintendent of the Wesleyan Sunday School, and he has been a director of the Napier Gas Company. In 1870 Mr. Welsman married Miss Allen, of Gloucester, England, and has, surviving, three sons and two daughters.