The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. Charles Baddeley, formerly a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council, was born at Crewe, Cheshire, England, in the year 1864. He is a son of the late Mr. Samuel Baddeley, was educated at the Napier Trust School, and was apprenticed at the Railway Workshops at Napier. In 1885 Mr. Baddeley took over the Railway Hotel in Dannevirke, and conducted it for about ten or twelve years, when he sold out and began sheep-farming on an excellent property near Dannevirke. He eventually took over the Junction Hotel, which he has since successfully conducted. Mr. Baddeley was one of the senior members of the old Town Board, and was for several years a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council. He has also been treasurer and vice-president of the Dannevirke Jockey Club, treasurer and president of the Foresters Lodge, and for six years, was treasurer of the Masonic Lodge. Mr. Baddeley married the third daughter of Mr. A. B. Jackson, of Port Awanui, in 1898.
Mr. John Calder, formerly a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in the year 1862. He is a son of Mr. Alexander Calder, and was educated and apprenticed to the building trade in his native town. In 1885 he sailed for New Zealand by the s.s. “Aorangi,” and landed in Dunedin, where he carried on building and contracting operations for seven or eight years. He then left for the North Island, and finally settled at Dannevirke in 1893. Mr. Calder then established himself in business as a builder and contractor. A great many shops at Dannevirke were built by him, and the Bank of New Zealand was erected from his plans. Subsequently in conjunction with Mr. J. Drummond, he entered into business as an ironmonger, cabinet-maker, etc., under the style of Calder and Drummond. Mr. Calder is a Forester, and has always been ready to assist in movements for the welfare of the town and district. In 1890 he married a daughter of Mr. J. Potter, saw-miller, of Balelutha, Otago, and has two daughters and one son.
Mr. Olaf Carlson, formerly a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council, is a son of Mr. Henry Carlson, of Dannevirke. He was born in the year 1865, at Carlshamon, Sweden, where he was partly educated. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1876, and finished his education at Palmerston North. His time has been largely occupied in bridge building, in company with his father; but he has also for several years managed his father's saw-mill at Tanaki. Mr. Carlson was a member of the first Borough Council in Dannevirke, and prior to that date was a member of the Town Board. He has also been a member of the local school committee. He married a daughter of Mr. B. Amundsen, of Maharahara, in 1888, and has two daughters and two sons.
Mr. Matthew Henderson, formerly a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council, was born in Sunderland, Durham, England, in the year 1848, and is a son of the late Mr. John Henderson, of Dannevirke. He came to New Zealand in 1858, by the ship “Evening Star,” landed at Auckland, and was educated at Auckland, Mangere, and Otahuhu. Mr. Henderson worked on his father's farm at Mangere until 1867, when he went to Canterbury, and entered the employment of the late Mr. Marmaduke Dixon at Eyrewell station, Eyreton. Leaving Canterbury for the North Island, Mr. Henderson joined forces with his brother, Mr. William Henderson, and Mr. George Wratt, sawmillers, near Feilding. In 1883, after working out the bush in the Manawatu district, the firm moved its head-quarters to Dannevirke, and some years later Mr. Greenaway took the place of the two retiring partners. Mr. Henderson was for some years a member of the Dannevirke Road Board, and was chairman of the first Town Board of Dannevirke. He is vestryman of St. John the Baptist's Church, and takes an interest in all local matters. In 1876 he married a daughter of Mr. P. Rossiter, of Oxford, Canterbury, and has three daughters and four sons.
Mr. George Wratt, formerly a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council, was born in Nelson in the year 1850, and is a son of Mr. George Wratt, who arrived in Nelson by the ship “Clifford,” in the year 1842. He was educated at Blenheim, and brought up to useful work, and at twenty-one years of age struck out for himself. He went to Canterbury, engaged in contract work in the Oxford district, and after five years' experience removed to the Manawatu district, and went into saw-milling at Halcombe. Mr. Wratt remained there for five years, and in 1883 removed to Dannevirke, where he continued until 1888, when he retired from business to settle down to farming, and looking after his town properties. He was elected to the Dannevirke Road Board in 1884, and was chairman for five years. Mr. Wratt was a member of the Dannevirke Town Board during almost the whole of its existence, and when it was succeeded by the Borough Council he was elected to a seat in the latter, was for many years a member, and gave his warm support to the water supply scheme for the borough. He has also been a member of the County Council. As a Freemason Mr. Wratt is a past master of Lodge Rawhiti, No. 66, N.Z.C.