The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Kumeroa (which means in Maori, “long breath”) is a farming district in the county of Woodville, situated 115 miles south from Napier, and nine miles from Woodville, with which it is connected by a good coach road. The township has one hotel, a store, and a public school. The surrounding country consists of both flat and rugged country, there are large sheep and cattle runs in the district, and dairying is also carried on. Good trout fishing can be obtained in the neighbourhood.
Cosgrove, Patrick, Storekeeper, Kumeroa. Mr. Cosgrove was born in Napier, and after receiving his education was with Messrs Alexander Brown and E. Bibby, of Waipawa, for ten years. He removed to Wairoa in 1893, where he managed Mrs. Parker's store. He subsequently removed to Kumeroa, and started his present business. Mr. Cosgrove, while resident in Wairoa, took considerable interest in local matters, was secretary of the Wairoa school committee and an active member of the Debating Society. He was one of the originators of the Dramatic Club, and was choirmaster of St. Peter's Church. Mr. Cosgrove married a daughter of the late Mr. Robert White, a well-known settler.
Fountaine, Thomas Francis, J.P., Sheep-farmer, Kumeroa. Mr. Fountaine was born in Buckinghamshire, England, in the year 1842, and is the son of Mr. T. F. Fountaine, farmer, of Stoke-Hammond. He was educated at Banbury, Oxfordshire, and brought up to farming by his father. In 1861 he went to Queensland, by the ship “Wanatah,” followed various occupations, and travelled the country from the Gulf of Carpentaria to Melbourne. In 1871 Mr. Fountaine came to New Zealand, landed in Wellington, and worked for some time in Hawke's Bay, on one of the stations of the Hon. J. D. Ormond. Later on he went to Norsewood, and worked on the main road opening up the bush district. In 1874, in conjunction with Mr. J. H. Monteith, he contracted for the construction of the road between Woodville and the Manawatu river. In March, 1876, they opened the first store in Woodville, and continued in partnership until June, 1884, when Mr. Fountaine retired. In the following March he went Home for a twelve months' visit, on his return to New Zealand took up a run of 1,075 acres, at Otawhao, and finally settled at Kumeroa. Mr. Fountaine was chairman of the Woodville Road Board for many years, a member of the Waipawa County Council for three years, a member of the Kumeroa Road Board, and has also served on other local bodies.