The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Dannevirke Gas Works occupy a section of two acres between High Street and Denmark Street, with the main entrance from Denmark Street. They were established in the year 1898 by Mr. William Henderson, from whom they were purchased, in 1905, by the Dannevirke Gas Syndicate. There are two gasometers, capable of holding 35,000 cubic feet of gas, and forty gas cookers, ten gas engines, and 250 private houses are supplied. The Company have secured a contract for the erection and lighting of all Borough lamps. There are in the town about three miles of four inch mains, and a large mileage of gas pipes of smaller gauge. The total output of gas from the works is 8,000,000 cubic feet. The company also do a large amount of gas-fitting, have a coal depot for all classes of coal, are sole agents in the Dannevirke district for the National gas engine and producer plant, and for the Blocklight. The works are under the management of Mr. Charles J. Johnston.
Mr. T. A. Kennedy.