The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Brighouse and Pawson, Butchers, Barraud Street, Dannevirke. This business was established by the present proprietors in June, 1901. The premises consist of a fine brick building, on a concrete foundation, and were specially erected for the firm. The shop is large and scrupulously clean, and at the back there is a private office, a manufacturing room (fitted up with a gas engine and other appliances), and a curing room. There is also an asphalted yard, and a cartshed at the rear. The supply of meat is bought locally. A good and increasing trade is maintained, and three persons are constantly employed.
Mr. Samuel Murray Brighouse, senior partner in the firm of Messrs Brighouse and Pawson, was born at Havelock North on the 2nd of August, 1874. He was educated at Waipawa, and brought up to the butchery trade, under Mr. Rasmussen, at Dannevirke. For nine years subsequently he was employed by Mr. McPherson, and also worked for a short time for Mr. James Allardice, before establishing his present successful business in conjunction with Mr. Pawson. Mr. Brighouse also conducts two dairy farms—one of seventy acres of first-class land at Oringi, and another of one hundred acres at Mangatera—in conjunction with his business. He also deals considerably in live stock. Mr. Brighouse is a member of the local Anglican Church, and is also connected with the Dannevirke Lodge of Oddfellows. He married Miss Bessie Green, of Porangahau, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. Edwin Pawson, of the firm of Messrs Brighouse and Pawson, was born on the 1st of January, 1860, at Davauchelles Bay, Banks' Peninsula, Canterbury, where he was educated. At sixteen years of age he removed with his parents to Feilding, where he was employed in bush felling for five years. In 1883 he went to Dannevirke, and found employment under Messrs Henderson and Wratt. For some years subsequently he was engaged in the delivery of logs by contract to the saw-mills, and he then took up farming. His property consists of about 500 acres of excellent land, part of the Umutaoroa block, on which mixed farming is carried on. About 300 sheep are depastured, and a small herd of cattle. Mr. Pawson also deals in stock. He is married, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. E. Pawson.
Snell, William, Butcher, Corner of High Street and Allardice Street, Dannevirke. This business was established in the year 1901 by the present proprietor. The shop, which is a brick building, measures twenty-seven feet by sixty-five feet, and is lined with imitation tiles. It has two handsome marble-topped counters, is well and conveniently appointed, and kept scrupulously clean. The Central Butchery, which stands nearly opposite Benzie's Hotel, is also owned by Mr. Snell, who bought it from Mr. Mawhinnay, of Palmerston North. It is also a first-class shop and well managed. Mr. Snell himself buys all the live stock, supplies only the best meat, and does a large turnover. Thirteen persons are constantly employed in the business, and delivery is made by four carts. Mr. Snell was born on the 10th of October, 1864, in Penzance, Cornwall, England, where he was partly educated, and at the age of 12 years came to New Zealand with his parents, landing in Lyttelton. For a short time subsequently he attended the Leeston public school, and then learned the butchery trade. He afterwards worked as a journeyman in Wellington and Bulls. In 1897 he took over a business at Bulls, which he conducted on his own account; and three years later settled in Dannevirke, where he has since conducted a successful trade. Mr. Snell is a Freemason and a member of the Order of Oddfellows, A.C.; is vice-president of the Dannevirke Athletic Club, chairman of the Dannevirke branch of the Referees' Association, and official starter at local athletic meetings. He is married and has two daughters.
Mr. W. Snell.