The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Calder and Drummond, Ironmongers, Cabinet-makers, Upholsterers, and General House Furnishers, High Street, Dannevirke. This business, which is now one of the most important commercial concerns in Dannevirke, was established in the year 1901. The premises consist of a commodious two-storeyed brick building, with a total floor space of 5,000 square feet. There is a thirty-three feet frontage to High Street, with two large plate-glass show windows, in which there is a fine display of goods; and a very large stock of manufactured and imported goods is carried. The firm are direct importers of house furnishings, furniture, crockery, carpets, linoleums, curtains, etc., and both in these and their own manufactures they are able to offer the most reasonable prices. The shop is largely patronised, and the business employs ten persons. The factory is a separate establishment, two storeys in height, situated in Allardice Street. It is fitted up with a fine plant, and gives employment to sixteen persons. Furniture of all descriptions, sash and doors, turnery, cabinet-ware, and butter boxes are manufactured.
The Dannevirke Plumbing Works (A. O. Menefy, proprietor), corner of Allardice Street and High Street, Dannevirke. This business was established in the year 1903, and acquired by the present proprietor in 1906. The premises consist of a fine shop, with large work-rooms at the rear. A varied stock of goods in plumbing, gas-fitting, and allied lines page 561 is carried, and four qualified men are kept constantly employed.
Mr. Alfred Oswald Menefy, the proprietor, was born in 1865, in New South Wales. At an early age he went to the Old Country, was educated and brought up to the plumbing trade in London, and, after the expirafion of a six years' apprenticeship, worked for some years in London as a journeyman. In 1897 he returned to New South Wales, where he worked for a time on his own account, and for a short period for the Welsbach Company in Sydney. In 1902 he came to New Zealand, was first employed as a journ yman in Dannevirke, and afterwards carried on farming at Weber. He was subsequently employed by Messrs Collet and Sons, before taking over his present business. Mr. Menefy is married, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. A. O. Menefy.
The Railway Shoeing Forge (John McDonald, proprietor), Corner of Queen Street and Stairs Street, Dannevirke. This business was established by Mr. John McDonald in October, 1904. The section consists of a quarter of an acre, and the smithy is a substantial building of wood and iron, to which a coach building department has been added. The proprietor is well-known for reliable workmanship, a large and increasing trade is conducted, and two persons are constantly employed.
Mr. John McDonald was born in Hamiltons, Otago, in the year 1873, and after attending the public schools at Hamiltons and Dunedin, he served a four years' apprenticeship to his trade in Palmerston South. He afterwards worked for a short time in Chertsey, Canterbury, and then found employment at Patangata, Hawke's Bay. Shortly afterwards Mr. McDonald removed to Dannevirke, where he was employed for nearly nine years by Mr. Thorburn. He then went to Weber, subsequently returned to Dannevirke, found employment with Mr. J. C. Davidson, and twelve months later established his present business. Mr. McDonald is a member of the committee of the Catholic Church, a member of the Order of Oddfellows, and of the Dannevirke Cycling and Athletic Club.
Mr. J. McDonald.