Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



The Club Hotel (J. Halligan, proprietor), Dannevirke. This hotel, one of the finest in the province of Hawke's Bay, was built by Mr. Matthew Henderson in the year 1890. Two years later it was bought by Messrs Neal and Close, the present proprietors, who in 1903 made extensive additions at a cost of about £2,000. It is a large two-storeyed wooden building, standing on a concrete foundation, and has an extensive frontage to the railway line. On two sides of the building there is a verandah and a balcony, and from the latter a fine view of the town is obtainable. There are three entrances to the hotel, and the two floors are connected by a wide stairway at each end of the building. On the ground floor there is a commodious commercial room, a page 560
Club Hotel, Dannevirke.

Club Hotel, Dannevirke.

writing room, a reading room, a fine dining room with accommodation for seventy guests, and two large bars stocked with the best wines, spirits, and other beverages. The first floor contains the bedrooms, private sitting rooms, bathrooms and lavatories, all of which are well-appointed apartments. At the rear of the house there are extensive stables and yards. A first class table is kept, and travellers and tourists can rely upon receiving every comfort and attention at the Club Hotel.

Mr. John Halligan, proprietor of the Club Hotel, was born at Armagh, Ireland, in February, 1854, and at an early age went to Australia, and was educated and learned the drapery trade in Melbourne. Later, he came to New Zealand, and was employed by Mr. John Hall, a West Coast merchant, for thirteen years. He then opened a business on his own account at Ross, which he conducted for some years, and in 1895 took over the Club Hotel. Mr. Halligan owns a valuable farm, at Oringi, which he works in conjunction with his hotel. He is a member of several social bodies, is married and has four sons and one daughter.

The Mangatera Hotel (C. A. Jensen, proprietor), Mangatera. This hotel is situated on the railway line at Mangatera, about one and three-quarter miles from the Dannevirke Post Office. It was first built in the year 1889 by Mr. Lawritz Triis and was then only a small building of one storey. It was subsequently burned down, afterwards rebuilt, and in 1896 was taken over by Mr. T. H. Limirick, who added a second storey. On his retirement the hotel passed through various hands, and in June, 1904, was purchased by Mr. Jensen, the present proprietor. The hotel stands on a section of one acre, presents a fine appearance, and has both a balcony and a verandah. The ground floor contains three comfortable sitting rooms, a dining room capable of seating about twenty guests, the bar, kitchen, and other apartments. The first floor contains twelve comfortable bedrooms, a lavatory, and a bathroom. The best of wines and liquors are stocked, an excellent table is kept, and guests receive every attention. Mr. Jensen is assisted by a staff of four persons.

Mr. Christian August Jensen, proprietor of the Mangatera Hotel, was born in Denmark, on the 9th of July, 1865, came to New Zealand with his parents at the age of ten years, and settled at Norscwood. He was educated at the Norsewood public school, and was afterwards engaged in general work for about ten years. For several years subsequently he successfully conducted the Crown Hotel, afterwards acquired the Junction Hotel, Norsewood, and three months later sold out in order to take over the Mangatera Hotel. Mr. Jensen is a Freemason, a member of the Dannevirke Jockey Club, and was for some years connected with the Order of Oddfellows. He is married, and has four sons and one daughter.

Henderson, photo.Mr. C. A. Jensen.

Henderson, photo.
Mr. C. A. Jensen.