The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Beaver, Thomas, Cabinetmaker, Upholsterer, and Picture Framer, High Street, Dannevirke. This business was established by the present proprietor in August, 1905. The premises consist of a fine showroom well-fitted up with a large stock of furniture and cabinet-ware, a workshop, and a private residence. Articles of first-class quality are manufactured, and two men are constantly employed. Mr. Beaver was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, on the 16th of November, 1878. He came to New Zealand at an early age, was educated at public schools, and learned the cabinet-making trade with Mr. F. E. Cook, of. Auckland. He afterwards found employment in the D.S.C., Auckland, for some time, and then removed to Dannevirke, where he has since resided. For over three years he was employed in Messrs Calder and Drummond's factory, and for six months in Messrs Gordon and Channon's factory, before establishing his present business. Mr. Beaver takes a keen interest in cycling matters, and is a member of the committee of the Dannevirke Cycling Club. In 1905 he married Miss Thompson, the eldest daughter of the late Captain Thompson, sometime harbour-master of Gisborne.
Mr. Lawrence Gordon, a partner in the firm of Messrs Gordon, Channon and Company, is a brother of the late Mr. A. L. Gordon, and was born at Oamaru, on the 13th of February, 1883. He was educated at the Mangatainoka Public School, near Pahiatua, as a lad entered the employ of his brother, who was then in the ironmongery trade, and continued to work for him until the formation of the firm of Messrs Gordon, Channon and Company. Mr. Gordon has' given considerable attention to military matters, and was for some time captain of the Dannevirke Cadets. He is an enthusiastic footballer, and is also a member of the local lodge of Oddfellows.
Mr. John Thomas Channon, of the firm of Messrs Gordon, Channon and Company, was born on the 24th of February, 1863, and is the eldest son of Mr. J. T. Channon, one of the original Albertland settlers. He was educated at the Pahi public school, and afterwards apprenticed to the cabinet-making trade, under Messrs Garlick and Cranwell (now Messrs Tonson, Garlick and Company), of Auckland, a large firm of cabinetmakers and furniture manufacturers. On the completion of his indentures, five years later, he went to Australia, where he was employed successively by Messrs Rock and Company and Messrs Falshaw Brothers, of Melbourne, Subsequently he entered the employment of Messrs Williams Brothers, of Hobart, with whom he remained for two years. He then returned to New Zealand, and found employment with Messrs A. L. Gordon, and Company, of Dannevirke, where for about twelve years he was foreman of the cabinet-making department, and had at one time about twenty journeymen under his control. Whilst in Auckland Mr. Channon took an active interest in military matters, and was for several years a member of the Newton Rifles, in which he held the rank of sergeant. In 1903 he joined the local lodge of Druids, and was elected Arch-Druid of the lodge in December, 1905. Mr. Channon married Miss Melrose, a daughter of the first schoolmaster at Panmure, Auckland, and has one son and three daughters.
Mr. J. T. Channon.