The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Drapers, Tailors, Etc
Drapers, Tailors, Etc.
The Bradford Woollen Company, Tailors, Mercers, Clothiers, and Boot Importers, High Street, Dannevirke. This company opened the business conducted under the style of the Bradford Woollen Company in the year 1903, and sold out to the present proprietor, Mr. E. A. Simson, in 1905. The premises consist of the ground floor of a large two-storeyed wooden building, measuring forty feet by about ninety feet, and comprise a well-fitted up shop, a large packing room, a cutting room, and a workroom. Mr. Simson imports largely, and carries a well-assorted stock of ladies' and gentlemen's tailoring materials, mercery, gentlemen's ready-made clothing, ladies' underclothing and footwear. Seven persons are employed in the business, and the cutting and litting departments are superintended by the proprietor.
Mr. Emanuel Ambrose Simson, proprietor, was born at New Plymouth, Taranaki, on the 31st of January, 1858. He was educated at various public schools, and learned the tailoring trade under Mr. Dee, of Nelson, and afterwards worked as a journeyman in various parts of Australasia, and in South Africa and San Francisco. He subsequently returned to New Zealand, and was employed for a time as a journeyman in Wellington, where, later, he opened a business on his own account in Willis Street. He subsequently sold out in order to go to Sydney, but shortly afterwards returned to the colony, and was employed for a short time in Wellington, before settling in Dannevirke. Mr. Simson has seven sons and two daughters.
Etz, Eric Emanuel, Tailor, High Street, Dannevirke. Mr. Etz established his present business in Janunry, 1905, in conjunction with Mr. Hjersman, under the style of Messrs Hjersman and Etz. Three months later, however, Mr. Hjersman withdrew from the firm, and Mr. Etz has since conducted the business on his own account. The premises, which stand nearly opposite the Masonic Hotel, comprise three well-lighted apartments, namely, a largo general shop, a commodious work-room, and a well-appointed fitting room. Mr. Etz carries a large stock of the best English tailoring materials, has gained a reputation as a first-class tailor, and employs fourteen persons. He was born on the 15th of September, 1875, at Frovi, Sweden, where he was educated, and afterwards apprenticed to the tailoring trade under his father. As a youth he served for two years in the Swedish army. For some years subsequently he travelled considerably in England, Scotland, Scandinavia, and Germany, in order to gain further experience at his trade, and for some time attended the cutting academies in Germany and in London. Later, for five years, Mr. Etz followed his trade in England, chiefly as a journeyman with Messrs Hawkes and Company, of Piccadilly, London. He came to New Zealand in September, 1904, and shortly afterwards settled in Dannevirke. Mr. Etz is a member of the Dannevirke Bowling and Golf Clubs.
Mr. E. E. Etz.
Lloyd, E., and Company, Drapers and Clothiers, High Street, Dannevirke. This business was established by the Te Aro House Company, of Wellington, and after passing through several hands was bought by Mr. E. Lloyd, in May, 1901. The premises, which had formerly been of wood, were then replaced by the present handsome brick building, which measures forty-five feet by seventy-five feet, and is lighted by large plate glass windows, and several skylights. The front portion of the building is divided into two fine shops, which contain the drapery, clothing, millinery, Manchester, fancy, hosiery and glove, dress, and haberdashery departments; and immediately at the rear is an office, a very fine show-room, and the dress-making department. Mr. Lloyd is a large importer, and keeps a heavy and well-selected stock of the best goods, which are retailed at most reasonable prices. He employs twenty-three persons, and each department is under the management of an experienced and courteous assistant.
Mr. E. Lloyd.
The New Zealand Clothing Factory, Dannevirke. Head-quarters, Dunedin. This branch business occupies a handsome two-storeyed brick building in High Street, and is fitted up in excellent style. The shop carries a well-assorted stock of clothing, mercery, and foot-wear, and four persons are employed. Mr. H. J. Clayton, the manager, is referred to as a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council.