Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



Anderson and Sons, Coach-builders, Wheelwrights, Blacksmiths, Farriers, and Undertakers, High Street, and Gordon Street, Danne-virke. This business was first established by the present proprietors in Miller's Road, but it was subsequently removed to its present site. The premises consist of a large one-storeyed wooden building, and the various departments are fitted up with the latest and most efficient machinery for turning out first-class work, including various mechanical contrivances invented by the proprietor for facilitating work. A specialty is made of coach-building, and a large number of vehicles are turned out annually. An extensive business is conducted, and ten persons are constantly employed.

Mr. David Anderson, senior partner in the firm of Messrs Anderson and Sons, was born at Clatt, Aber-deenshire, Scotland, on the 27th of June, 1831. He was educated at the parochial school in the village of Clatt, and learned the coach-building trade under his father, with whom he worked for many years. In 1851 he came to New Zealand, in the ship “Fatima,” and landed at Lyttelton on the 28th of December, after a voyage of 104 days. For six months Mr. Anderson was employed on stations in Hurunui, and was then employed as a builder in Lyttelton. In the year 1852 he went to the Victorian gold-fields, where he remained for two years. He then returned to New Zealand, and soon afterwards established himself in the building trade in Christchurch. In 1864 he settled in Timaru and at Pleasant Point, where he followed his trade as a coach-builder and black-smith for twenty years. While resident in South Canterbury Mr. Anderson wrote various poems of local interest.
Messrs Anderson and Sons' Works.

Messrs Anderson and Sons' Works.

Henderson, photo.Mr. D. Anderson.

Henderson, photo.
Mr. D. Anderson.

page 555 He removed to Napier in 1886, and combined house and coach-building for about six years before establishing his present business in Dannevirke in 1891. In the year 1862, at Christchurch, he married Miss Elizabeth Bell, the only sister of the late Mr. James Bell, of Akaroa. Mr. Anderson has four sons and five daughters. Two sons and four daughters are married, and there are twenty-two grandchildren.