The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Bank of New South Wales, Dannevirke. This branch was opened in the year 1891. In 1895 the present fine and commodious building was page 551 erected; it includes the manager's private quarters. This bank is the first that was opened in Dannvirke for daily husiness, and is a popular institution.
Mr. Alexander Paul, manager of the Bank of New South Wales at Dannevirke, was born in London, England, in the year 1864, and is the eldest son, of the late Mr. Alexander Paul, who died in Wellington many years ago. He was educated at the Presbyterian school, and at Mr. Mowbray's private school. Mr. Paul joined the staff of the Bank of New South Wales at Wellington, in 1879. His first move was to Wanganui as ledger-keeper, thence he was transferred to Christchurch as bill-clerk, to Timaru as accountant, and then back to Wellington as accountant, in which position he was well and favourably known. Mr. Paul takes an interest in all matters bearing upon the welfare of the district, and is both a cricketer and a bowler. In 1895 he married the daughter of the Hev. John Meniuos, of Otakaia, Otago.
The Bank of New Zealand, at Dannevirke, was opened in the year 1892 by Mr. Campbell Thomson. The premises consist of a substantial two-storeyed building, with a manager's residence. Mr. G. J. E. Bickford is manager.
Mr. George James Ernest Bickford was appointed manager of the Bank of New Zealand, at Dannevirke, in the year 1896. He was born in Plymouth, England, in 1865, was educated at the Corporation and Park Grammar Schools, Plymouth, passed the competitive examinations, and joined the Naval Bank as a junior in 1878. Mr. Bickford was in the service of the Bank for over ten years, and was in charge of the Plympton and other agencies. Ho came to New Zealand in 1891, landed in Auckland, and entered the Bank of New Zealand, Soon afterwards to was transferred to the Otahuhu agency, and three years later was appointed to Ohinemuri as accountant, where he remained until he received his present appointment. Mr. Bickford is a vestryman of St. John the Baptist's Church, is secretary of the page 552 Dannevirke Lawn Tennis and Bowling Clubs, and the Ruahine Club; is president of the Dannevirke Horticultural and Industrial Society, and is vice-president of the Dannevirke Chamber of Commerce.