The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Musical — Lawson, Andrew,
Lawson, Andrew, Teacher of Music, High Street, Dannevirke. Mr. Lawson was born at Stirling, Otago, on the 18th of January, 1876, and after receiving his education at the local public school, turned his attention to the study of music. At ten years of age he took up the study of the violin, subsequently mastered the piano and mandoline, and at eighteen years of age established himself as a music teacher in his native town, where he conducted a small orchestra. In 1898 he removed to the North Island, practised for a time successively in Masterton, Patea, and other places, and in 1903 settled in Dannevirke, where he conducted a book-seller's and stationer's business in conjunction with the practice of his profession. He subsequently found it necessary to remove to larger premises, and in 1904 took over his present shop, with his teaching rooms at the rear. He then took into partnership his brother, who manages the book-selling business and music depot. As a music teacher Mr. Lawson has been very successful, and has about sixty pupils, some of whom have gained distinction. A violin pupil, of twelve years of age, gained the highest percentage of points in Great Britain and the Australasian colonies at the Trinity College examination of 1905, and at the same examination a second pupil, who had had but sixteen months' tuition, passed the senior pianoforte test. For a short time Mr. Lawson conducted an amateur dramatic and musical society, which gave several successful public performances.