The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Dannevirke Horticultural and Industrial Society, was established in the year 1896, with Messrs Bickford, Ransom, Soundy, and Bamford among its principal promoters. The object of the society is to promote the study and practies of horticulture in its various branches, and to improve the produce and industrial resources of the district. Shows are held annually in the Drill hall, and are largely attended. The exhibits include flowers, fruit, vegetables, dairy and farm produce, and home industries. The society has a membership of eighty, and the annual subscription is five shillings. Officers for the year 1997: President, Mr. G. J. E. Bickford; Vice-presidents. Messrs W. F. Knight and H. A. Bamford; Treasurer, Mr. E. A. Ransom; and Secretary, Mr. A. E. Green.
Mr. Algernon E. Green, Secretary of the Dannevirke Horticultural and Industrial Society, was born in London, England, on the 24th of February, 1869, and is a son of the late Mr. W. J. Green, a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects. He was educated at Brighton College, and in 1892 went to Tasmania. He then came to New Zealand, for four years was employed as an accountant in Palmerston North, and in 1899 settled in Dannevirke, where he has since conducted a successful business as a land agent, and as an importer of the “Orion Estate” brand of Ceylon Tea. Mr. Green is a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. A. E. Green.