The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Makotuku is situated sixty-eight miles south by rail from Napier, in the county of Waipawa, and is the centre of a dairy-farming and saw-milling district. Brick-making and sheep and cattle-farming are also carried on. Makotuku has a church, a public school, a public hall, two hotels, a creamery, and various places of business. The post, telegraph, and money order office is conducted at the railway station. The roads in the district are good.
“Blairgowie” (C. C. Smith, Proprietor), Makotuku. This property was acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1897. It lies between the Manga-tewainui river and the Manga-tewaiti river, and comprises 1,485 acres of first-class undulating country. Most of the heavy bush has been felled, and the land cleared, and the property is altogether in an advanced state of improvement. The winter flock comprises 2,800 sheep, but in the summer months about 4,500 are carried, and 200 head of cattle. There is a fine modern residence, and efficient out-buildings have been built on the property.
Mr. Charles Cowper Smith, J.P., proprietor of “Blairgowrie,” is the eldest son of the Hon. W. C. Smith. He was born at Waipukurau, on the 16th of January, 1875, and was educated at public schools, and at Wanganui College, where he won the bronse medal presented by the Royal Humane Society of Australasia. He then turned his attention to farming, and was for three years on Messrs Williamson Brothers' station, at Waituna West, in the Rangitikei district, and then found employment successively on Mr. Sydney Johnston's estate at Takapau, and Mr. S. Franklin's sheep-station at Weber, before acquiring his present property. Mr. Smith is a member of the local branch of the Farmers' Union, and he has been Chairman of the Makotuku School Committee for two years. In 1898 he married Miss Brabazon and has three sons.
Mr. C. C. Smith.