The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Hastings Post Office was erected in the year 1896, and is a wooden building, situated at the corner of Station Street and Queen Street. It contains a general public room, a mail and operating room, the Government Life and Accident Insurance, and the money order and savings bank departments. The telephone exchange is in a separate building. Mr. S. F. Haszard is postmaster.
The Hastings Railway Station was opened in the year 1874. The station buildings contain the usual offices and appointments; there is a fine asphalt platform, and also considerable yard accommodation. Mr. C. A. Heald is the stationmaster-in-charge.