The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Waipukurau, the centre of a large sheep-raising country, is a township situated on the main line of railway, five miles south from Waipawa, and forty-four miles south by rail from Napier, in the county of Waipawa. The site of the township was originally held by Maoris, and there are still to be seen relics of the settlement, including an old pa. The first settlers were Messrs Purvis and H. R. Russell, who arrived in the early “fifties,” and they were followed by Messrs John Harding, Captain Newman, Donald Gollan, James Evison, James Main, George Winlove, John Sharpin, John Evans, Hugh Roberts, A. Jones, Peter Gow, and John Palmer. Mr. H. R. Russell took up a large area of virgin country, which he successfully farmed for many years. He laid out the township, and built an hotel, and he gave land for many public purposes. In the early days, when wheat was grown more largely, flour-milling was carried on in the locality, and, subsequently, saw-milling and flax-milling flourished for a time. Boiling down works were originally conducted in conjunction with sheep grazing, but, later, Messrs Nelson Brothers page 517 established a branch freezing establishment, which, however, was afterwards closed down. The opening up of large estates from time to time, including the Mount Vernon and Hatuma estates, has greatly assisted settlement. The country is chiefly undulating, of fine farming quality, the roads are excellent, and the climate is good. Waipukurau has post, telegraph, money order, savings bank, and other Government offices, a branch of the Bank of New Zealand, and a hospital. There are also churches, a library, a large public school, and a fine hotel. A newspaper is published in the township, and there are extensive saleyards. There is fine scenery in the neighbourhood, good shooting is obtained on Lake Hatuma, and there is abundance of fish in the river. In the vicinity of the lake there is a large racecourse, with a fine grand stand.
The Waipukurau Town Board was constituted in November, 1905, the township having formerly been a part of the district governed by the Waipukurau Road Board. The area of the township is 975 acres; the unimproved value, £30,910; and the capital value £74,059. A general rate of 2d in the pound, which produces £257 a year, is levied on the unimproved value. Since the inception of the Board many improvements have been effected, and a scheme for the proper lighting of the town is (1906) under consideration. Mr. W. A. Chambers has been chairman of the Board from its inception.
Mr.William Ashton Chambers, Chairman of the Waipukurau Town Board, was born in Cheshire, England, on the 22nd of June, 1865, was educated at the Manchester Grammar School, and was subsequently brought up as a carpenter. He came to New Zealand in the year 1884, and soon afterwards settled at Waipukurau, where he carries on a large business as a builder, timber merchant, architect, and ironmonger, and gives constant employment to twelve men. He also carries on farming in conjunction with his business. Mr. Chambers is a member of the Waipawa County Council, the Waipawa Hospital Board, a steward of the Waipukurau Jockey Club, and a member of the Waipukurau football and cricket clubs. In connection with cricket he was one of the winners of the Hunter Shield. As an Oddfellow he is a Past Provincial Grand Master, and is First Principal of the Royal Arch Chapter of Freemasons.
Mr.Cecil Whiting Seymour, member of the Waipukurau Town Board, was born on the 28th of January, 1869, in Oxfordshire, England, where he was educated and brought up to the grocery trade. He came to New Zealand in 1886, was first employed for about sixteen months as manager of a grocery store at Pukekohe, in the Auckland province, and afterwards travelled for a time in the interests of Messrs E. Porter and Company. In 1891 he removed to Hawke's Bay, where he was employed by Mr. Peter Gow for fourteen years, chiefly as manager of the railway refreshment rooms, which he took over, in the early part of 1905, on his own account. In the same year Mr. Seymour page 518 established a boot importing and cycle agency business in Waipukurau, which he conducts in conjunction with the catering at the railway station. He is a direct importer, carries a large stock of the best footwear, and is agent for a highclass make of English bicycles. Mr. Seymour takes a keen interest in local, public, and social affairs, has been a member of the school committee for several years, and is a trustee and past master of the local Lodge of Oddfellows, with which he has been connected for many years. He is married, and has three daughters.
Waipukurau Post, Telegraph, and Money Order Office is a handsome wooden structure in the centre of the town, and has the postmaster's private residence attached.
Mr. Thomas William Le Cocq formerly Postmaster at Waipukurau, was born at Alderney, Channel Islands, in the year 1856, where he was educated, and afterwards entered the post and telegraph service, where he remained for six years. In 1877 Mr. Le Cocq went to St. Kitts, West Indies, but returned to England after six months. He came to New Zealand in 1878, and entered the post and telegraph service at Wellington in 1879. Two years later he was appointed postmaster at Duntroon, Otago, was transferred two years afterwards to Takapau, Hawke's Bay, and five years later was appointed to Waipukurau. He is now postmaster at Picton. Mr. Le Cocq is an enthusiastic cricketer, was a member of the Waipawa-Patangata Counties Cricket Club, and was vice-president, of the Waipukurau Junior Football Club. He possesses musical talent, and during its existence was secretary to the Waipukurau Orchestral Union. As a Freemason, Mr. Le Cocq is a Past Grand Deacon of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand
Mackay and Company, Auctioneers, Land, Estate, and General Commission Agents, Main Street, Waipukurau. This business was established in 1903, by Mr. G. W. L. Mackay. Adjoining the offices are a large yard, and a commodious sale room. General sales are held every Saturday afternoon.
Mr. G. W. L. Mackay, sole proprietor of the business, was born in Nelson in the year 1869, and is a son of a well-known sheep farmer of the Nelson province. He was educated at Nelson College, and at seventeen years of age went to Australia, where he was employed for some years in mining and sheep-farming. He took part in the South African war, as a sergeant-major in the 5th Westralian Contingent, was for eighteen months at the front, and then returned to Australia, proceeding almost immediately to New Zealand. Mr. Mackay was for five years a member of the Victorian militia. He is a steward of the Waipukurau Racing Club.
Tipping, Samuel Kenning Steele, Land and Estate Agent, Ruataniwha Street, Waipukurau. This business was established in 1906, by Mr. Tipping, who does a considerable business as a licensed land broker. He was born at Leeston, Canterbury, on the 2nd of July, 1877, and is the eldest son of Mr. James Tipping, of Waipukurau. He was educated at Waipukurau, and for four years followed the teaching profession at Kumeroa. Mr. Tipping then resigned in order to take up farming, which he followed for some years successively at Pahiatua, Makuri, Dannevirke, Wairarapa, and other places, before establishing his present business. He is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society and the Farmers' Union. Mr. Tipping married a daughter of Mr. Howse, of AshleyClinton, and has one daughter.
Winlove, John, Builder and Contractor, Waipukurau. This business was established many years ago by the late Mr. George Winlove, and at his death was taken over by his son. A speciality is made of the construction of sale yards, and among those erected by Mr. Winlove may be mentioned the Waipukurau, Stortford Lodge, and Onga Onga sale yards. Many fine buildings have also been erected by him, including the residence of Mr. Henry Gaisford, of Oringi. Fifteen men are employed in the business. Mr. Winlove was born on the 6th of February, 1872, at Waipukurau, where he was educated, and afterwards learned his trade with his father. He takes a keen interest in the social life of the district, and is a page 519 member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Waipukurau Jockey Club, and the local cricket and football clubs.
Mr. J. Winlove.
Sampson, Percy Wallace, Coal, Firewood and Timber Merchant, and Machinery Agent, Waipukurau. This business was established by Mr. C. W. Mitchell in the year 1896, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1906. It is conducted in a wooden building, sixty-eight feet by thirty-five feet, and is situated near the railway line. There is a complete wood-sawing plant, consisting of an eight horse-power Rushton and Proctor engine, a large sawing bench, with circular and ripping saws, a specially constructed concrete store for the storage of lime, and a large yard where drain-pipes, prepared timber, coal, and firewood are stocked. Mr. Sampson is agent for Messrs Massey Harris, Willoughby and Company (Dannevirke), Donald and Sons (Masterton), the Kitson light, Pitner low-pressure lamps, Fairbanks, Morse and Company's oil engines, pumps, and windmills, W. T. Turnbull's oils, vulcanite sanded roofing, and American quick-dry varnish. Second-hand machinery is bought and sold. Mr. Sampson was born in Liverpool, England, on the 7th of May, 1872, and is the second son of Mr. Thomas Edward Sampson, a stipendiary magistrate, and coroner of that city. He was educated at Denston College, Staffordshire, and at Taylor's Grammar School, Great Crosby, and then went to sea in the merchant service. After seven years' experience in large ocean going vessels, during which period he gained a chief officer's certificate, he resigned in 1898, in order to settle in New Zealand. For a time he was employed at sheep station work at “Leslie Hills,” Canterbury, afterwards held an appointment in the tourist department of the Government service, and then removed to Hawke's Bay. He was subsequently employed for five years on the Mount Herbert estate at Waipukurau, and then managed farms in the Wairarapa and Dannevirke districts. Later he became travelling representative for Messrs Willoughby and Company, of Dannevirke, before acquiring his present business. Mr. Sampson is married and has two sons.
The Tavistock Hotel (Robert Coneys, proprietor), Waipukurau. This page 520 hotel is situated about half a mile from the Waipukurau railway station, and was first erected in the late “fifties,” by Mr. H. R. Russell, as a small accommodation house; the first license being granted to Mr. George Lloyd, about the year 1860. It was afterwards conducted for a quarter of a century by Mr. Peter Gow, and was taken over by the present proprietor in June, 1904. The hotel has been rebuilt and is a large two-storeyed wooden building, with a verandah in front, and a balcony on two sides. On the ground floor there are two large dining rooms, capable of seating over 100 guests, a well-appointed commercial room, several comfortable sitting rooms, and a bar stocked with the best wines, spirits, ales, and other beverages. On the first floor there are about thirty comfortable bedrooms, two well-furnished sitting rooms, and convenient bathrooms and lavatories. A good table is kept, and the tariff is moderate. A large billiard room occupies a detached building, and there is also a commodious stable, which contains twenty stalls and ten loose boxes. Horses and vehicles may be obtained on hire. The Tavistock Hotel is the stopping place for the Porangahau coach. A small farm is carried on in conjunction with the hotel. The whole business is under the personal supervision of Mr. Coneys, who exercises scrupulous care in attending to the needs and wishes of his numerous guests. The Tavistock Hotel commands a large share of patronage from the country settlers and travelling public.
Mr. W. H. Booth's Veterinary Shoeing Forge.
Mitchell, Charles William, Storekeeper and General Provision Merchant, Waipukurau. Agent for the National Fire Insurance and Liverpool and London and Globe Insurance Companies. Mr. Mitchell's husiness was one of the first established at Waipukurau, and is conducted in a wooden building, well-stocked with merchandise. Mr. Mitchell has a considerable interest in the firm of Wilding and Company, of Makotuku, and acts as their agent at Waipukurau. He was born in Scotland, and was educated in Aberdeen. For six years he was in the office of a law advocate, before coming to New Zealand, by the ship “Auckland,” in the year 1879. Mr. Mitchell landed in Otago, and was for some years in the employ of the Agricultural Company, of Dunedin, as accountant on several of their properties. In 1882 he removed to the North Island, and served in a similar capacity for Messrs Murray, Roberts and Company, on their stations at Clive Grange, Tautane, Akitio, and Aohanga. He next received a position as accountant with Messrs Wilding and Company, sawmillers, and eventually, in conjunction with Mr. J. Scholes, took over the above store and a saw-mill at Makotuku.
Mr. C. W. Mitchell.
Blackhead Station (McHardy Brothers, proprietors), Waipukurau. This valuable property consists of about 22,000 acres of first-class grazing country, and is situated sixty miles south from Napier. There is a permanent ewe flock of 30,000, and about 3,000 head of cattle are also depastured. The run is well-watered and sub-divided, and equipped with all necessary buildings.
Mr. Leslie Harding McHardy, of Blackhead station, was born in Napier on the 20th of June, 1863, and is the eldest son of the late Mr. Alexander McHardy. He was educated at the Napier Boys' High School and Nelson College, and, at the death of his father, took over Blackhead station, in conjunction with his brother. Mr. McHardy is a member of the Patangata County Council, the Hawke's Bay United Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, the Waipawa Hospital Board, the Tamumu Road Board and other local bodies. He married a daughter of Mr. Alexander McKenzie, of Gisborne, and has two sons and four daughters.
Mr. L. H. McHardy.
Mangatarata Estate (Spencer Herbert Gollan, proprietor), Waipukurau. This estate consists of 30,000 acres of first-class grazing land, and is situated about four miles from Waipukurau. The property carries 45,000 sheep and about 750 head of cattle, and employs a permanent staff of twenty-five men. Mr. Gollan has the reputation of being a breeder of thoroughbred horses, several of which have given a good account of themselves on the colonial and English turf. The following horses were at one time on the station:—Miss Dargon, Tiraillerie (dam of Tirant d'Eau page 522 winner of the N.Z. Cup, 1898), Cartouche, Namoa, Forlorn Hope, Escalade, Leonie, Lady Hamilton, Bonne Idee, Julia, Bessie McCarthy, Tircuse, and the well-known stallions Jet d'Eau, Captain Webb, and Bonnie Scotland. Mr. Gollan has won several races in England with the racehorses Norton and Ebor. The estate is managed by Mr. L. de Pelichet.
Mr. Peter Gow was born in the year 1838, at John o' Groat's, Scotland, and came to New Zealand in 1862, by the ship “Royal Charlie.” During the Waikato war he was employed in bridge-building and cutting timber. In 1861 he went to the West Coast gold-fields, but not meeting with the success he anticipated, returned to Auckland, where he was engaged in saw-milling. Later Mr. Gow went to Hastings, where he remained for about two years. He removed to Waipukurau about the year 1869, and was employed in the bush, where the present township now stands, and afterwards started a saw-mill of his own at Hampden. He then received a contract from the Government to cut railway bridge timber required for the line between Waipukurau and Pukipuki. Mr. Gow afterwards sold out his saw-mill, and in 1875 bought the Tavistock Hotel, with forty-seven acres of land adjoining the township; this he sold in 1899, took a trip through America and the Old Land, returned to New Zealand, and settled in Waipukurau. Mr. Gow is chairman of the Waipukurau Road Board, of which he has been a member for a number of years, and is also chairman of the Waipukurau school committee.
Mr. Alexander Jones, formerly senior partner in the firm of Messrs A. Jones and Sons, Coach-builders, etc., was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, and learned his trade in the neighbourhood of Dundee. He came to New Zealand in the year 1865, by the ship “Berar,” and landed at Wellington, under an engagement to the late Hon. H. R. Russell, of Hawke's Bay, with whom he remained for about two years. He started in business on his own account in Waipukurau, as a coach-builder. Mr. Jones was a constant exhibitor at the agricultural and pastoral shows in Hawke's Bay, and won a reputation for superior workmanship. He has won seventy-three first-class certificates, fifteen silver medals, and one twenty-five guinea cup, besides other trophies. He invented a large number of improvements in agricultural implements of various kinds, and is the maker of the first locally-made plough and disc harrow; he also invented the Giant wire-strainer, which has proved such a boon to fencers. Mr. Jones subsequently disposed of his business to Mr. W. H. Booth. He has been chairman of the Waipukurau school committee, has been a member of the Waipukurau Road Board for several years, an elder of the Waipukurau Presbyterian Church for over twenty years, and is a past chief ruler of the Rechabite tent. He was also superintendent of St. Andrew's Sunday school for eight years; is president of the Christian Endeavour Society, in connection with St. Andrew's Church, and of the Public Library Trustees. Mr Jones married in 1859, and has, surviving, two sons and seven daughters; his eldest son, William, carries on a large business at Hastings, as a coach-builder.
Mr. George Winlove, who for many years resided at Waipukurau, and who was one of the oldest residents of the district, was born in Snettisham, Norfolk, England, and was brought up to the building trade. He came to New Zealand in 1858, for some time worked at his trade in Auckland, and in the early “sixties” removed to Waipukurau, where he conducted a successful business as a builder until his death in February, 1906. Mr. Winlove was married, and left a family of one son and three daughters.