The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Onga Onga is an outlying settlement ten miles south-west from Waipawa, with which it has a bi-weekly coach service. Two large estates in the district, “Forest Gate” and “Mount Vermon,” which were cut up for closer, settlement in 1902 and 1905 respectively, have added greatly to the increased prosperity and population of the district. Sheepfarming, grain cropping and dairy farming are the chief industries. To encourage the latter a large creamery has been erected, and is stocked with an up-to-date plant of the latest machinery. The roads in the district are good, which enables settlers to convey produce without much expense into Waipawa or Waipukurau, the nearest towns on the railway line. There are large stock and sheep yards in the township, where monthly sales are held by the Associated Napier stock auctioneers. The church, in which the various denominations hold their services, was built and given by Mr. H. H. Bridge. The settlement has one hotel, two stores, a coach factory, and a flour mill, and there is a recreation ground, two asphalt tennis courts, a cricket pitch, and a football ground. The school, which is a large wooden building, and divided into two class rooms, has seventy-seven scholars on the roll. The business of the post and telephone bureau is conducted at one of the local stores. To the west of Onga Onga are the Ruahine Mountains, a splendid sight on a clear, fine day, especially in the winter time, when the tops are capped with snow.
Coles Brothers, Builders, Contractors, Plumbers, Painters, and House Decorators, Onga Onga. This business was established in the year 1878, by Mr. E. P. Coles, one of the oldest residents of the district, and was taken over by his sons in 1905. From a small concern, the firm has grown to one of considerable importance, chiefly through the thorough manner page 512 in which their contracts have been carried out. Their operations extend from Hastings to Eketahuna, whilst in Onga Onga and Tikokino they have erected many fine dwelling houses. A general stock of all necessary requisites is kept on the premises, and the timber used, matai, totara, rimu, and white pine, is supplied from the local bush.
Mr.William Edward Coles, senior partner in the firm of Messrs Coles Brothers, is a son of Mr. E. P. Coles, and was born in Hampshire, England, in the year 1863. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1878, in the ship “Columbus,” and landed in Auckland, thence transhipping in the “Southern Cross” for Napier. Mr. Coles served his apprenticeship to the building trade with his father, and afterwards gained further experience with Mr. Robert Holt, of Napier. He has since resided in Onga Onga. Mr. Coles is a member of the Builders' Union, Treasurer of the Onga Onga Sports Club, and a member of the local school committee. He married Miss M. F. O'Neill, in 1888, and has two sons and six daughters.
Sandford Hotel (George Staunton, proprietor), Onga Onga. This hotel was built in September, 1899, and is a two-storeyed wooden building with two balconies. On the ground floor are two parlours, a dining room capable of seating fifteen guests, and the bar, which is stocked with the best wines, spirits, and liquors. On the first floor there are ten bedrooms, all comfortably furnished. Horses and traps can be hired, while stables and paddocks are adjacent to the hotel. The bi-daily coach to Waipawa stops at the Sandford hotel.
Mr. George Staunton, proprietor of the Sandford Hotel, was born in Papakura, Auckland, and is a son of the late Mr. R. J. Staunton, Auckland. After receiving his education Mr. Staunton removed to Hawke's Bay in 1890, and for a number of years was engaged in contracting. He then took over the Sandford Hotel in July, 1898. Mr. Staunton is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Waipawa and Waipukarau Racing Clubs, is vice-president of the Onga Onga Sports, Tennis, and Football Clubs, and a member of the Waipawa Bowling Club. He married a daughter of Mr. George Pilcher, of Clive, and has one daughter.
Beachen, John Plummer, Farmer, Onga Onga. This old colonist was born in Wellington in the year 1843, his parents having arrived in the colony the previous year, in the ship “Lady Nugent.” After attending the Catholic school and Mrs. Buxton's school at Te Aro, Mr. Beachen went to the Wairarapa, where he was employed for seven years on Mr. C. A. Vallance's estate. In 1863 he removed to Hawke's Bay, and spent some time on Pourerere station, after which he took part in the Thames gold “rush.” Mr. Beachen finally returned to Hawke's Bay, and settled at Onga Onga, where he has since resided. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and has given much time and attention to road board and school committee work, and everything appertaining to the advancement of the district. He married, in 1873, a daughter of Mr. William Liddle, of Waipawa, and has six sons and nine daughters. Mr. Beachen farms 242 acres of freehold, and 498 acres of leasehold, of the original Forest page 513 Gate property, on which he runs 1,100 Romney Marsh cross-breds, and twenty-two head of cattle. His lambing average is never less than 100 cent., and has at various times averaged considerably more. He has erected a comfortable homestead, wool-shed, stables, stock yards, and a dip, and improved his property in many other ways.
Bowling, William John, Farmer, Onga Onga. Mr. Bowling holds 296 acres of land in the Lindsay settlement, which he drew by ballot in April, 1905. The land is flat, well watered, and sheltered, and capable of yielding good grain crops. About 600 Romney Marsh-Lincoln cross-bred sheep and fifteen head of cattle are depastured, and the lambing averages 100 per cent. Upwards of 300 chains of fencing have been erected, and other improvements have been installed. Mr. Bowling was born in 1879, in Kaiapoi, Canterbury, where he was educated, and afterwards gained experience on his father's farm. Subsequently, in partnership with his brother, he was engaged in dairy farming for two years in Levin, Manawatu, and was afterwards sheep-farming on his own account in the Feilding district. Mr. Bowling is a member of the Onga Onga Sports Club, and captain of the local football club.
Fleming, William, Farmer, Onga Onga. Mr. Fleming has 750 acres of land held on a lease in perpetuity, a portion of the original Mount Vernon estate. The land is all flat, and carries a good depth of fair soil on a shingly bottom. His stock includes 450 breeding ewes and 600 ewe lambs, nearly pure-bred Romneys. Mr. Fleming also carries on a stock dealing business, and in one year bought and sold upwards of 6,000 sheep and 400 head of cattle. He has greatly improved his property, which he took up in April, 1905, having built a dwelling house, wool-shed, stable, trap shed, and sheep yards, and erected over three miles of fencing. In order to provide shelter for his stock he has planted 1,000 pines and other trees. Mr. Fleming was born in Sheffield, Canterbury, in 1871, and is a son of Mr. R. G. Fleming, an old colonist of over forty years' standing. After leaving school he worked on Mr. G. Fleming's station, on Banks' Peninsula, and afterwards was employed in droving for the Islington Freezing Works. Subsequently he managed two runs—“Waimaru,” and “Oririe Island,” in Marlborough, where he remained for seven years. After buying and disposing of farms in Waverley, Patea, Waikato, and Palmerston North, he settled on his present property. Mr. Fleming married a daughter of Mr. John Mills, of “Brightlands,” Pelorous Sounds, in 1896, and has a family of four sons and one daughter.
Freemantle, Walter Edwin, Farmer, “Fairview,” Onga Onga. Mr. Freemantle owns 375 acres of freehold property, formerly a portion of the Fairfield estate, situated on the main road from Waipawa to Onga Onga, about one mile from the latter township. About thirty acres are cropped, and twenty-five milking cows, and 500 Lincoln cross-bred sheep, are depastured. Lambing averages about eighty five per cent. Many improvements have been effected since the property was acquired, including the erection of a substantial dwelling house, a number of outbuildings, and about three miles of fencing. Mr. Freemantle was born in Stockbridge, Hampshire, England, in June, 1850, and came to New Zealand in 1873, in the ship “Inverhernie,” landing in Napier. He was employed for a year on Mr. F. M. Chapman's station at Poukawa, after which, for a time, he settled at Clive, where he experienced the hardships and privations of the early settlers. While there he bought a section at Makaretu, for which he paid ten shilings an acre, on the deferred-payment system, and expended £2 an acre on bush felling. At the same time he accepted a situation on Mr. Wellwood's farm in Hastings, and afterwards on Mr. W. Couper's station at Havelock, in order to gain the necessary capital to start farming on his own account. He finally removed to Makaretu in 1890, bought another section, and resided there for ten years, when he acquired his present holding. Mr. Freemantle is a member of the Farmers' Union, a director of the Onga Onga Butter Factory, and an Oddfellow of thirty years' standing. He married, in England, a daughter of Mr. Thomas Petty, of Southampton, and has, surviving, three sons and three daughters.
Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Freemantle and Family.
Ingley, Arthur John, Farmer, “Fir Grove,” Onga Onga. Mr. Ingley farms a property of 900 acres, in the Lindsay settlement, which he acquired by ballot in April, 1905. He depastures 1,200 Romney Marsh-Lincoln cross-bred sheep, a stud flock of 200 Lincoln pure-bred ewes, fifty Shropshire pure-bred ewes, and upwards of fifty head of short-horn cattle. About 300 acres are laid down in oats and turnips, and good crops are realised. The land is flat, and well-watered by the Waipawa river on one boundary, and on the other by an artesian supply laid down at a cost of £250. The property is also well sheltered by a belt of fir trees. A nine-roomed house, a large wool-shed and stables have been built, and sheep yards, a dip, and upwards of four miles of fencing have been constructed. Mr. Ingley was born in the Wairarapa, in the year 1885, and is the son of Mr. Joseph Ingley, of Napier. He was educated in Dannevirke, and afterwards entered the Government postal service in that town; two and a half years later he resigned, and settled on his present holding.
Mackie, Alexander, Farmer, “Forest Gate,” Onga Onga. Mr. Mackie's property, which is the original homestead block of the Forest Gate estate, contains 844 acres of flat land and rolling downs. Mixed farming is carried on, about 300 acres being laid down annually in grain and root page 514 crops. Oats average fifty bushels to the acre. The winter stock comprises 1,300 Romney Marsh-Lincoln crossbred sheep (of which 750 are breeding ewes), sixty head of mixed cattle, and twenty horses. Lambing averages ninety per cent. The property is well watered and sheltered, and the homestead, which contains twenty-one rooms, is pleasantly situated on a rise, and commands a fine view of the surrounding country. The out-buildings include a wool-shed (stocked with three stands of Wolseley sheep shearing machines), a cottage, a stable, a granary, men's whares, and coach, buggy, and trap sheds. Windmills pump the water from the creek to the various tanks on the property. Mr. Mackie was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in the year 1861, and was brought up to an agricultural life. He came to New Zealand in the year 1887. and was afterwards engaged in contracting at Porangahau, ploughing and road making at Te Aute and other places, and contract cropping on the Milbourne estate (now the Argyle settlement). Mr. Mackie is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Farmers' Union, the Onga Onga Sports Club and Tennis Club, and the Abbotsford Lodge of Oddfellows, Waipawa. He married a daughter of Mr. A. Sherwood, of Havelock, in 1897, and has four sons and one daughter.
“Merivale,” Onga Onga, the property of Mr. William C. Pettit, comprises 1,000 acres of freehold, all good sheep country. The land was first taken up in 1879, by Mr. J. Pettit, of Dannevirke, who resided on the property for a number of years. Originally it was all heavy bush country, which, with the exception of a few acres, has since been cleared, and sown in grass. About 2,000 Romney Marsh-Lincoln cross-breds are depastured, of which 500 are breeding ewes, and 250 ewe lambs; there are also upwards of 100 head of short-horn cattle on the property. Lambing averages eighty-seven per cent., though in some seasons over 100 per cent. has been obtained. The buildings comprise a modern dwelling house, a capacious wool shed, a granary, stables, and whares. Sheep yards, stock yards, a dip, and other conveniences have been installed.
Mr. William Charles Pettit was born in Te Aute in 1876, and was educated at Waipawa and Kaikora North. He subsequently studied for two years at the Lincoln Agricultural College, Canterbury. After spending a number of years on “Merivale,” he took charge of the property for his father in 1905. Mr. Pettit is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and is a member of the committee of the Onga Onga Sports Club. He married a daughter of Mr. Lachlan McKay, of Tikokino, in June, 1905.
Muhleisen, George John, Sheep-Farmer, Onga Onga. Mr. Muhleisen was born in the year 1860, in Victoria, Australia, and at an early age came to New Zealand, where he was educated. He was trained as a wool classer, and subsequently followed his profession in various parts of the Australian colonies. He then took over the Albion Hotel, Napier, which he conducted for some time. He sold this property, however, in 1906, and has since devoted his attention to sheep-farming. Mr. Muhleison, during his residence in Napier, was closely connected with almost every athletic body in the town, and rendered good service in several secretarial posts.
Rice, Hugh William, Farmer, “Riverview,” Onga Onga. Mr. Rice acquired his property of 395 acres by ballot, in April, 1905, and subsequently refused an offer of £500 on his bargain. At the time of the ballot this section was one of the most desirable offered, as it contained all the buildings, stock yards, and other improvements necessary to a farm. The land is of good quality, the bulk of it having been sown with grass seed before the ballot. It is bounded on one side by the Waipawa river, and well sheltered by a mile and a half of fir trees. Since acquiring the property Mr. Rice has planted seventeen chains of shelter trees, and erected over five miles of fencing. The stock, in 1906, comprised 200 three-quarter-bred Lincoln ewes, 200 three-quarter-bred Romneys, 450 Romney Marsh-Lincoln cross-bred lambs, two Shropshire, four Romney page 515 Marsh and four Lincoln pure-bred rams, fifty-six head of mixed cattle, and nine horses. Mr. Rice was born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, in 1871, and served an apprenticeship to the leather trade with Messrs Alcock and Davonport, of that city. Afterwards he worked at his trade in Brisbane and Tasmania, and spent a short time in Melbourne and Adelaide. He came to New Zealand in 1893, for some time was employed at flaxmilling, near Foxton, and returned to Sydney a year later. He again came to the colony in 1896, and found employment on the Fairfield and Ashcott stations, before taking up his present holding. Mr. Rice is a member of the Onga Onga Sports Club.
Rood, Arthur, Farmer, “Finchley,” Onga Onga. Mr. Rood's property consists of 896 acres of the original Mount Vernon estate, which he holds on a lease in perpetuity. The property was drawn in the ballot by Mr. George Cossar, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1905. All the improvements on “Finchley” have been installed by Mr. Rood, and comprise a seven roomed dwelling house, a dairy, store, sheep yards, woolshed, and six miles of fencing. The dairy contains a separator plant, the product of which is disposed of in the district. The land is flat, and of a good quality, considerable cropping of oats and turnips is carried on, and excellent yields have been obtained. The stock comprises about 700 Romney Marsh-Lincoln ewes, 370 English Leicester hoggets, forty head of cows and young cattle, and fourteen horses. Mr. Rood was born in London, England, in the year 1819, and was educated at the London University. He came to New Zealand as carpenter of the ship “Weymouth,” in 1873, and spent the first five years after his arrival on Messrs Beetham Brothers' Brancepeth station, near Masterton. He was afterwards a shepherd on White Rock and Te Apiti stations, on the East Coast, and on “Mount Vernon,” until it was cut up by the Government in 1905. Mr. Rood is a member of the Farmers' Union, and the Agricultural and Pastoral Society, a member of the Onga Onga School Committee, and a member of the committee of the Sports Club. As a Freemason he is a Past Master of Lodge Abercorn (Waipawa), No. 30, N.Z.C.; an honorary life member of the Grand Masonic Lodge of New Zealand, and a Forester of many years' standing. Mr. Rood married the eldest daughter of Mr. Peter Swenson, of Norsewood, in 1883, and has two sons and four daughters.
Spring Hill Station, the property of Mrs. L. M. Rhodes, was originally taken up by the late Mr. Rhodes, who was at one time a member of the Hawke's Bay Provincial Council,' The station comprises 7,000 acres of freehold, mostly undulating country, but all ploughable, and good healthy sheep land. The stock comprises 5,000 Romney Marsh pure and cross-breds, of which 4,000 are breeding ewes, and 1,000 ewe lambs. Up to 9,000 sheep have been carried, and when fully improved the property will be able to carry two sheep to the acre; 300 head of cattle are also depastured. In 1904 “Spring Hill” wool realised the top price in the Napier market. Two teams of horses are employed, and a considerable area has been laid under cultivation. Many improvements have been installed during the present management, including additions to the dwelling house, the erection of a large grain shed, men's whare, and Maori quarters, and upwards of five miles of fencing.
Mr. Albert V. Laurie Rhodes, manager of Spring Hill station, was born in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, in 1881, and received his education at Queen's College, Melbourne, the School of Mines, Ballarat, and at the Hawkesbury Agricultural College, New South Wales. At the latter college he was dux for the years 1901 and 1902. In September, 1903, he came to New Zealand, and started as a cadet at “Spring Hill,” subsequently taking over the management of the property in October, 1905. Mr. Rhodes is a member of the Farmers' Union, and the Waipawa Racing Club, and is vice-president of the Onga Onga Sports Club.
Waldrom, Jonathan, Farmer, “Wattle Grove,” Onga Onga. Mr. Waldrom operates 784 acres of land in the Lindsay settlement, which he drew by ballot in April, 1905, on a lease in perpetuity. The land is all flat, well sheltered, and suitable for agricultural purposes. Mr. Waldrom's stock comprises 850 Romney Marsh-Lincoln cross-bred sheep (of which 630 are breeding ewes), and upwards of twenty-five head of cattle. He has erected a cottage, wool-shed, sheep yards, and three miles of fencing. Mr. Waldrom page 516 was born in Waipawa, in the year 1873, and after attending the local school he gained experience on several farms in Waipawa and Onga Onga. He is a member of the Abbotsford Lodge of Oddfellows, Waipawa. Mr. Waldrom married Miss Catherine Miller in 1899.
Mr. J. Waldrom.
Walker, George, Sheep-farmer, Onga Onga. Mr. Walker was born in Insch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, on the 22nd of March, 1818, and was brought up to sheep-farming. He came to New Zealand in 1869, under contract to Mr. T. P. Russell, of “Woburn,” Waipukurau, in the ship “Asterope,” and landed in Wellington on the 10th of October of that year. He at once proceeded to “Woburn” where he remained for two years and a half. Mr. Walker was subsequently employed on the Mangatoro, Arlington, and Burnside stations, after which he took up bush land at Blackburn, which he farmed for eighteen years. When the Fairfield estate was cut up by Mr. H. H. Bridge, in 1900, Mr. Walker bought his present holding of 520 acres, on which he depastures 1,000 sheep, mostly pure-bred Lincolns, and the lambing has averaged 100 per cent. Mr. Walker has improved his property to a considerable extent, having planted 3,000 trees, and erected several miles of fencing; besides which he has built a modern dwelling house, a wool shed, and a trap shed and stable. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, but takes no part in public affairs. He married a daughter of Mr. Robert Elliott, of County Cavan, Ireland, in July, 1874. Mrs. Walker arrived in New Zealand in 1872, in the ship “Ballarat,” landing in Napier.
Mr. and Mrs G. Walker.
Wilson, Ernest, Farmer, “Bellevue,” Onga Onga. Mr. Wilson operates 684 acres of land, of which 606 acres are held on a lease in perpetuity, and seventy-eight acres, on which the dwelling house stands, on a seven years' lease, with a right to purchase. The whole is a portion of the original Mount Vernon estate, which was cut up for closer settlement in April, 1905. The country is undulating, but all ploughable, and is stocked with 1,000 Romney Marsh cross-bred sheep, and upwards of fifty head of cattle. When fully improved the farm will carry two sheep to the acre, and being well sheltered, offers splendid facilities for good lambing averages. Turnips and kale are grown for fattening purposes. Mr. Wilson was born in Lakeview Coole, County Westmeath, Ireland, in the year 1864, and was brought up to farming. He arrived in New Zealand in 1889, and engaged in cropping on the Mount Vernon and Milbourne estates—now known as the Lindsay and Argyle settlements—where he remained until the properties were cut up. He then secured his present holding by ballot, with the exception of the homestead block, which Mr. Harding reserved for him as he had been a tenant for ten years. Mr. Wilson is a member of the Farmers' Union, the Waipawa Racing Club, and the Onga Onga Sports Club, and has taken a great interest in football. In addition to farming he carries on a large dealing business. Mr. Wilson married a daughter of Mr. D. McIntyre, Oban, Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1889, and has two sons and two daughters.