Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



Fernhill lies twelve miles south-west from Napier, and six miles west from Hastings, on the bank of the Ngaruroro river. The past office is conducted in the local store, and is supplied with telephone and money order conveniences. The Maraekakaho coach passes through the distict, and there is also a daily coach service between the township and Hastings and Napier. There is some first class land in the vicinity, which is devoted to grain growing and sheep farming, and of the former good yields are obtained. On the other side of the river is situated a Maori pa, which contains some modern dwelling houses, and a large church where services are held weekly. The roads around the district are maintained in good order, and are greatly used by cyclists and motorists.

The Fernhill Hotel (Winter H. Fuszard, proprietor), Fernhill. This hotel was built in the early “eighties,” and acquired by the present proprietor in July, 1904. It is a twostoreyed wooden building, and contains three sitting rooms, a dining room capable of seating eighteen guests, a billiard room with a full size Burroughs and Watt billiard table, and several single and double bedrooms. The bar is well stocked with the best brands of spirits, liquors, page 481 wines, and a Napier brew of ale, and is supervised by the proprietor. This hotel is a popular place of call for travellers on the Napier-Hastings Road. The domestic arrangements and the comforts of lady guests are attended to by Mrs. Fuszard.

Mr. Winter H. Fuszard, proprietor of the Fernhill Hotel, was born in Jersey, Channel Islands, in the year 1869, and came to New Zealand as a child, with his parents, in the ship “Queen of the North,” landing in Napier. He was subsequently engaged for fifteen years in the Criterion Hotel, Napier, and gained further experience in the same lusiness in Hastings, before acquiring the Fernhill Hotel.

Broughton, William, Runholder, Ngapuke (The Hills). This run contains 2,600 acres of good pastoral land, and carries 6,000 crossbred sheep and about 100 head of cattle. Mr. Broughton is a successful breeder of good racing stock, among which may be mentionel “Forest Rose,” “Rangipuinhu,” “Titike,” “First Blood,” “Rakahoe,” and others, Some years ago he disposed of his stud to Mr. Richardson, of Napier. Mr. Broughton is a native of Wanganui, where he was born in the year 1857, educated in this native school at Pakowhai, and at Mr. Reardon's school in Napier, and was brought up to agricultural pursuits. He married a daughter of the well-known Bay of Plenty chief, Tuhoe, and has four sons and three danghters.

Crissoge Station (George Prior Donnelly, proprietor). This station is situated about eleven miles from Napier, and also includeds the Ngatarawa property a few miles further on. The area of “Crissoge” is about 9,000 aeres, and 20,000 Lincoln sheep are depastured. There are also 500 head of short-horn cattle (Bate's blood) and sixty horses, incuding the famous sire “Gold Reef.”

Waimarama” is situated on the coast south of the Kidnappers, twentyfour miles by water from Napier, and about three hours' drive from Hastings. It comprises 17,000 acres, all limestone downs, and carries 30,000 Lincoln sheep. There are also 1,800 short-horn cattle, and about seventy horses.

The Mangaohane Run comprises about 17,000 acres of freehold and a few thousand acres of leasehold, and is stocked with 23,000 first-cross Lincoln and merino sheep.

Ohurukura,” about thirty miles from Napier on the Taupo Road, is another of Mr. Donnelly's runs. It consists of 26,000 acres of freehold and leasehold country, and carries 16,000 Lincoln-merino sheep, 300 head of cattle, and twenty-five horses.

Rukawa” is a small property which also belongs to Mr. Donnelly, and contains 2,000 aeres of superior totara and matai forest. On this there are 500 short-horn steers. Besides the fore-go-ing runs, Mr. Donnelly has numerous smaller properties, some of them as far away as the Rangitikei and Manawatu districts.

Mr. George Prior Donnelly, proprietor of the above estates, manages them personally. He is a breeder and owner of a very large number of valuable animals, and has always been a keen sportman, having ridden and owned some of the most noted cross-country horses in the Colony, and won many races both on the flat and over country. In passing judgment on the imported sire, “Gold Reef,” the property of Mr. Donnelly, the “Hawke's Bay Herald” said: “As he stood for inspection, covering a lot of ground without the slightest bit of ground without the slightest bit of lumber showing, with perfect feet, he presented himself as the beau ideal of a recehorse and sire. Handsome he should be too, for no horse in the world possesses a better pedigree, and certainly no horse with a more fashionable pedigree, or one more likely to make a successful sire, has ever left England.” “Following up the Turf,” as did his forefathers, is a hobby with Mr. Donnelly, and he spares neither trouble nor expense to keep himself in the front rank as a breeder. As early as the year 1864 he was a member of the Auckland Cavalry, and rode his first race at Tamaki in the Garrison Hunt Steeplechase. Mr. Donnelly is a son of Mr. Patrick Donnelly, a landed proprietor of County Tipperary, Ireland, and was born at “Brittus,” an old family
Mr. H. Warren.

Mr. H. Warren.

residence, which had belonged to the Langleys, his mother's side of the family, she being the daughter of Mr. John Prior, a large landed proprietor page 482 of County Waterford, and borther of the well-known Dr. Prior, of Dublin University. He was educated in County Limerick, and came to New Zealand in 1863 with his mother and family. His father having dies in 1861, this step was recommended by an uncle, Captain Hamilton, who had visited the colony in command of the “Esk,” and who was subsequently killed at the Gate Pa. Landing in Auckland, Mr. Donnelly lived for a time at Wairoa South, and went to Hawke's Bay in 1867, where he became manager of Major Carlyon's run. Mr. Donnelly, however, soon after took up land on his won account, and has since achieved a wonderful success. In 1877 Mr. Donnelly married the daughter of the late Chief Karauia, and niece of Tareha, the celebrated Hawke's Bay Chief, and has, surviving, one daughter.

Okawa Station (Thomas Henry Lowry, proprietor), Napier. This station is one of the finest properties in the neighbourhood of Napier, and includes a small property named “Dartmoor,” on the opposite side of the Tutaekuri River. The total area is 20,000 acres, and the handsome homestead is surrounded by beautiful grounds. 35,000 Lincoln sheep and lambs are shorn anually, and the herd of shorthorn cattle numbers 550, many of them being exceptionally valuable animals. Of the eighty horses at “Okawa,” many are pure bred from blood mares and sires. Of these there are the favourite sires “St. Conon” and “Dotterel,” and “Lady Helen” and “Woodthorpe,” besides the mare “Bijon.” Mr. Lowry breeds pedigree shorthorn bulls for sale, and has some of the finest animals in the Colony. There is a large demand for his Lincoln rams, and his stock of breeding ewes numbers over 300. In sheep and cattle particularly Mr. Lowry has been a successful prize-taker for many years, as was his father, who was generally credited with being the first in the district to introduce good breeds of cattle, horses, and sheep.

Mr. T. H. Lowry, proprietor of the Okawa station, was born on the estate in the year 1865. He was educated at Christ's College, Canterbury, and afterwards at the Royal Agricultural College, England, and later at Jesus College, Cambridge. He distinguished himself on the football fields of both colleges, and continued to sustain his reputation in this respect after his return to New Zealand. Mr. Lowry is a member of the committee of the Acclimatisation Society, a steward of the Hawke's Bay Jockey Club, a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural Society, and a director of the North British and Hawke's Bay Freezing Company, Limited. In 1897 he married the daughter of the late Mr. James Watt, of Napier.

Mr. T. H. Lowry's Homestead at Okawa.

Mr. T. H. Lowry's Homestead at Okawa.

Mr. T. H. Lowry

Mr. T. H. Lowry

Mr. Thomas Lowry, sometime proprietor of Okawa station, came to New Zealand in the early “fifties,” and acquired the Okawa estate and other properties in the district. He was gifted with the faculty of inspiring confidence in the natives, and his son is now reaping the reward of his father's enterprise and foresight.