The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Settlers, Farmers, Etc
Settlers, Farmers, Etc.
Baker, Carl Joseph, Farmer, “Dilkusha,” Paki Paki, Hastings. Dilkusha Farm was formerly part of the Longlands estate, and consists of 465 acres of level land, a large portion of which is rich agricultural land, and the remainder lighter soil of good grazing quality. The farm winters over 1,800 sheep, and in the warmer months of the year the flock often numbers over 3,000. About eighty acres of rye grass seed are cut annually and prairie grass seed, oats, and lucerne, are also grown. Mr. Baker was born in England, on the 23rd of April. 1880, and is the son of a captain in the Imperial Army, who assisted in the defence of Ladysmith. He was educated partly at Bishop Cotton's page 474 School in Simla, India, and partly at the Portsmouth Grammar School, in England. He emigrated to New Zealand in October, 1898, was employed for a time on the Longland estate, and then took up his present farm. Mr. Baker married the eldest daughter of Mr. Hugh Campbell, of “Bredalbane,” Havelock North, and has one son.
Bridgman, William, Farmer, “The Poplars,” Hastings. “The Poplars” is a farm composed of two blocks, of 100 acres and 300 acres respectively. The former, on which the homestead stands, is situated in the Mahora district, and consists of rich agricultural land. The latter block, which was originally part of the Longlands, estate, is chiefly good grazing country. The farm is devoted to sheep grazing principally, but a considerable quantity of rye grass is grown for seed. About 1,600 sheep and forty head of cattle are depastured. Mr. Bridgman was born in Cornwall, England, on the 11th of June, 1863, and came to New Zealand in the ship “Famenoth,” in September, 1879. He started work at Cambridge, in the Waikato district, and subsequently was engaged for several years as a sheep drover in the Auckland, Hawke's Bay, and Taranaki provinces, in conjunction with which he carried on sheep farming. In the year 1898 he bought the smaller portion of “The Poplars,” and combined farming in his own interests with the work of buying sheep for a local freezing company. Mr. Bridgma subsequently acquired the remainder of his property, which he has since successfully conducted. He is a member of the committee of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and has been a member of the Order of Oddfellows for many year Mr Bridgman married the third daughter of Mr. R. Meredith, sometime member of the House of Representatives, in 1904, and has one daughter.
Mr. W. Bridgman.
Davey, William Henry, Farmer, Oatlands Farm, Hastings. Oatlands Farm is situated in the Pukahu disttict, about three miles distant from Hastings, and is held in lease by Mr. W. H. Davey. It consists of 217 acres of rich level land, and about 800 breeding ewes and a small herd of cattle are depastured. A large number of lambs ar e also fattened annually, and barley, oats, and grass seed are grown. The farm has a comfortable homestead, which is approached through a fine avenue of trees. Mr. Davey was born in Tavistock, Devonshire, England, in September, 1856, and was brought up to farming. In the year 1879 he came to New Zealand, and for some time was employed on various stations. He subsequently took up land at Puketapu, where he successfully engaged in fruit-farming for fifteen years, before taking up his present farm. Mr. Davey is married, and has five sons and four daughters.
Elliot, George, Farmer, Paki Paki, Hastings. Mr. Elliot farms a property of 200 acres, which was formerly a part of the Longlands estate, and is composed chiefly of rich agricultural and grazing land. It is all in first-class working condition, and is highly improved. From twelve to fourteen hundred sheep and lambs are carried during the season. Mr. Elliot is a native of Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland, England, where he was educated and brought up to farming. He emigrated to New Zealand in the year 1884, and subsequently for seven years managed Mr. Thomas Tanner's stations at Havelock and Petane, before taking up his present property. Mr. Elliot is a member of the committee of the Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and a member of the Hastings Farmers' Union.
Mr. G. Elliot.
Flaxmere Estate, the property of Sir William R. Russell, is situated within three miles of Hastings, and consists of 1,700 acres of good level country, suitable for agricultural purposes and sheep grazing. 7,000 Lincoln sheep are depastured on the property, over 200 acres are down in grain, and about 150 in various crops. The wool-shed has accommodation for about twelve shearers, and all the latest necessary agricultural implements are to be found on the property, including a traction-engine and threshing-machine. A great portion of the land was originally flax swamp, and extensive drainage operations have been carried out, over forty miles of surface drains having been cut.
The Iron Gate Farm, Hastings, consists of 772 acres of rich agricultural and pastoral land. It was formerly a portion of the Longlands estate, and was acquired by its present proprietor in the year 1905. The property is situated about three miles south-west from Hastings, and is divided into about eighteen paddocks. It is well drained and has an ample supply of good water. “Iron Gate” carries a permanent flock of about 4,000 sheep, and 150 head of cattle; about 290 acres are devoted annually to the cultivation of grass and clover seed.
Mr. Hugh Campbell, proprietor of the Iron Gate Farm, was born in Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, on the 5th of January, 1853, and was brought up to farm life in the Old Country. At twenty years of age he came to New Zealand, and settled in Canterbury, where he was employed for several years on Mr. G. G. Russell's “Otipua” estate at Timaru. He then removed to Hastings, where he entered the employment of Mr. Thomas Tanner, and eight years later was appointed manager of Mr. Tanner's estate. After holding this position for about eight years, he resigned in order to take up the management of “Longlands,” for the page 475 trustees of the late Mr. Watts, and seven years later bought his present farm, and started on his own account. Mr. Campbell has also two other properties: a run of 4,000 acres, carrying 7,000 sheep and 1,000 head of cattle, which is conducted by Mr. Campbell and his eldest son in equal partnership; and another of 132 acres at Havelock North, where “Bredalbane,” Mr Campbell's private residence, is situated. Mr. Campbell is a member of the committee of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and was one of the first members of the Pukahu River Board, of which he has been chariman since its inception. He is married, and has seven sons and two daughters.
Kahuranaki and Kohinurakau Stations (W. A. Cooper, proprietor). “Kahuranaki” is situated on the south bank of the Tuki Tuki river, about thirteen miles south of Hastings, and was taken up in the year 1854, by the late Mr. William Cooper. It then comprised 13,000 acres of rugged virgin country, but under the successful management of Mr. Cooper the bush and scrub were gradually cleared, and it then became one of the best sheep runs in Hawke's Bay. Under the will of its orignal owner, however, the estate was cut up in 1897, and 3,000 acres, including the homestead, fell to Mr. W. A. Cooper's share. “Kohinurakau” is situated seven miles from Hastings, and on it Mr. W. A. Cooper's beautiful residence is situated. It comprises about 3,000 acres, and, like “Kahuranaki,” is chiefly hilly and undulating country. About 12,000 sheep and 600 head of cattle are depastured on the two estates.
Mr. William Alexander Cooper, proprietor of Kahuranaki and Kohinurakau stations, was born in Hawke's Bay on the third of December, 1850, received his education in Wellington, Napier, and Havelock North, and was then brought up to sheep farming life on “Kahuranaki.” For nearly twenty years he managed the estate for his father, and subsequently for the executors, and since 1897 has farmed on his own account. Mr Cooper resided for many years at the old homestead, and then built his present residence, which is a fine twostoryed building, surrounded by lawns and well-laid out flower gardens. Mr. Cooper was for some years a member of the Hawke's Bay County Council. He is married, and has three sons and six daughters.
Monteth, J. H., Settler, Hastings. Mr. Monteith resided at Woodville for about a quarter of a century, but subsequently removed to Hastings. He was a member of the first borough council of Woodville, and was formerly a member of the old town board for many years. Mr. Monteith was born in Melbourne, Australia, in the year 1848, and was educated and brought up to farming pursuits in Victoria and Queensland. In the last-named Colony he was for five years on his father's station. He came to New Zealand in 1868, was in business for a few years on the Otago gold-fields, and then moved northwards to establish the first store in Woodville, in partnership with Mr. Fountaine. Some years ago Mr. Monteith acquired a property, situated on the line of railway between Woodville and Pahiatua, consisting of 1,100 acres of rich land, stocked with 2,500 Lincoln sheep and 100 head of cattle. He married a daughter of Mr. Edwin Hall, of Pahiatua, and has three sons and two daughters.
Watts, James Church, Farmer, Hastings. Mr. Watt's fine property comprises 132 acres of very rich agricultural land, conveniently subdivided into paddocks. The ewe flock numbers 650, and 500 to 600 lambs are sent annually to the freezing works, and about the same number of fat sheep. About thirty acres are cut annually for rye grass seed, and about thirty acres of rape is grown. Mr. Watts was born in Wellington, on the 24th of July, 1848, and is the son of the late Mr. William Watts, who landed in Wellington from the ship “Arab” in the year 1841. After leaving school he was employed at farm and bush work for seven years in Wellington, and in 1868 he went to Southlad, where he was for three years engaged in general farm and station work. Mr. Watts afterwards went to Australia, and found employment for five months at shearing in New South Wales and Victoria, and returned to Southand in 1872. During the next twelve months he worked at shearing and general farm work in various parts of the South Island, travelling from Invercargill to Picton on horseback. In 1873 he removed to Hawke's Bay, for seven years followed station life, and in 1880 settled in Hastings, and started farming on his own account; he was also engaged at the same time in dealing and droving for many years all through the North Island. Mr. Watts has been a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Society for many years.
Brown and Ross, photo.
Mr. J. C. Watts.