The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Albert Stables, Karamu Road, Hastings. These stables were established in the year 1901, by the present proprietor, Mr. B. C. McCormick. They occupy a large section, and are well arranged and efficient. A large amount of capital has been expended in thoroughly stocking the establishment with a variety of vehicles; and waggonettes, drags, braadleys, and dog-carts, and a large number of well-trained horses are always on hire. The travelling public can always rely upon getting an up-to-date and reliable turn-out at the Albert Stables. The conveyance of passengers to race meetings, showgrounds, etc., is also undertaken. Mr. McCormick personally superintends the management of the stables, and is assisted by experienced stablemen. He is more fully referred to in connection with the Hawke's Bay Mounted Rifles.
The Premier Stables (Graham Brothers, proprietors), Heretaunga Street. Hastings. These stables are reputed to be amongst the best in the province. They were established by the present senior partner in March, 1902, and at first adjoined the Pacific Hotel; but the prosperity that the business instantly met with soon entailed an extension of the premises, and the present site was bought, and stables specially built. The building is a long brick one with iron roof, and extends from the road—to which it has a fine frontage—to the back boundary of the section. It is particularly well appointed, and contains twenty-three, stalls and four loose boxes. Fourteen horses are constantly on hand, and the vehicles comprise two large drags, two waggonettes, one single brake, three buggies, four gigs, one dog cart, one laundau, and one hearse. The Premier stables are largely patronised by all classes, as the public has the utmost confidence in the management's methods. Throughout the season a coach service is maintained between the town and Frimley orchards.
Mr. Samuel Graham, the senior partner, was born on the 10th of July, 1872, in Napier. After receiving a public school education, he worked for some years at Mr. Beccroft's stables at Hastings; he was afterwards employed for a time as a shepherd on Te Mahanga station, and then he established his present business. Mr. Graham is a Forester, and a member of the Fire Brigade and the Bowling Club. His father, who died some years ago, was formerly a farmer at Puketapu.
Tattersall's Livery and Bait Stables (Charles Hart, proprietor), Market Street, Hastings. These stables were established in the year 1900, by Mr. Gooseman, and taken over by the present proprietor in September, 1905. The building is of one storey, in wood, with an asphalt floor, is conveniently appointed, and contains thirty-five stalls and loose boxes. Two double and one single brake, three buggist, one landau, five gigs, and twenty first-class horses are employed in the business. Patrons may rely upon obtaining a thoroughly good turn-out at Tattersall's; prices are reasonable, and civility and attention are shown to customers. A feature of the business is the breaking in of young horses to saddle and bridle. At the back of the premises there is a large sale yard, capable of accommodating 200 horses, and horse sales are held there every month.
Mr. Charles Hart, proprietor of Tattersall's Stables, was born at Southbride, Canterbury, in July, 1873. He was educated at public schools in Canterbury and Hawke's Bay, and was afterwards employed at farming. In 1897 he became driver of the Napier-Hastings coach, which he subsequently bought, and ran on his own account for about six years, before acquiring his present business. Mr. Hart conducts a weekly coach service with Mangawhare, thirty-three miles distant from Hastings, which he was the first to institute.
Newrick Brothers, Traction Engine and Steam Threshing Mill Plant Propritors, Karamu Road, Hastings. This firm was established in Janary, 1906. The plant includes a first-class powerful traction engine, a large chaffcutter, an up-to-date wood-sawing machine, and a complete grain-threshing plant. Messrs Newrick Brothers are good and reliable workmen, and conduct a successful business page 473 About six persons are employed.
Mr. James Albyn Newrick, senior partner in the firm of Messrs Newrick Brothers, was born at Havelock North on the 22nd of May. 1883. He was educated at the Havelock North public school, and has since been employed at his present business.
Tottenham, Herbert Ponsonby Loftus, General Carrier and Produce Dealer, Threshing Mill and Traction Engine Proprietor, Station Street, Hastings. This business was established in the year 1903, by the present proprietor. The plant includes a threshing mill, a chaff-cutter, a hay and straw bailer, a powerful compound Fowler engine, and heavy road hauling apparatus. Mr. Tottenham has erected a large storage shed in Southampton Street, which is connected with the railway line by a private siding, and he has also storage capacity in Station Street. He deals largely in the purchase of standing crops, which he reaps and threshes. Mr. Tottenham was born on the Glenfarm estate, Country Leitrim, Ireland, and is the fourth son of the late Colonel A. L. Tottenham, for sixteen years a member of the British House of Commons, After passing through a preparatory course, he entered the naval training ship “Britannia.” and two years later went to sea in the “Alexandra,” of the Mediterranean Squadron, then under the command of the Duke of Edinburgh. In 1891 Mr. Tottenham returned to Ireland, and then emigrated to New Zealand, where he remained for three years, part of which time he was emplyed by Sir William Russell, on “Flaxmere.” He subsequently returned to the Old Land, and for seven years conducted business as a land agent; Lord Francis Hope's estate being among those he administered. In 1903 he again came to New Zealand, and estblished his present business. Mr. Tottenham married Miss Emilia Gaussen, eldest daughter of Captain Gaussen, of “Brookman's Park,” Hertfordshire, England, in 1897, and has three sons and two daughters. In 1905 Captain Gaussen died, and early in the following year Mr. and Mrs. Tottenham returned Home to take possession of their inheritance. Mr. Tottenham still retains his commercial interests in the Colony.