The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Ironmongers and Cycle Importers
Ironmongers and Cycle Importers.
Bone, Frank Leonard, Ironmonger, Hastings. This business was founded in the year 1885 by Mr. W. F. Burnett. Five years later it was taken over by Messsrs Bennett and Bone; in 1896 Mr. Bennett retired, and Mr. Bone was joined by Mr. W. C. Holroyd, the firm then being known as Bone and Holroyd. In 1900 the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Bone has since conducted the business on his own account. During recent years the business has rapidly gone ahead, and extensive additions have been made to the premises, including a fine paper-hanging department. A large stock of general ironmongery is kept. Mr. Bone was born in London, England, in May, 1869, and came to New Zealand at an early age. He was educated at public schools, and was afterwards apprenticed to the ironmongery trade with Messrs Ruddock and Fryer.page 468
Cook, A. F., and Company, Agricultural Implement Makers and Importers, and General Blacksmiths, Heretaunga Road, Hastings. This business was established many years ago, and was conducted for several years by Messrs Doney Brothers. Then it was acquired by Mr. George Purves, and was finally taken over by the present proprietor. In 1903 a showroom was added to the premises, and this was enlarged in 1905 owing to the increasing business. The firm are agents for the Noxon mowers, rakes, dises, cultivators, and drills; the Keystone, Thomas, and Manitoba hay loaders and stackers; and for Messrs Cooper and Duncan's various implements; a large and successful trade is conducted in all its branches.
Mr. Arthur Frederick Cook, senior partner in the firm of Messrs A. F. Cook and Company, was born in cambridge, England, in the year 1872, and is the eldest son of Mr. F. Cook, overseer for the Hastings Borough Council. He came to New Zealand with his parents at two years of age, and after receiving a public school education, was apprenticed to Mr. George Purves, with whom he remained for about nine years, until taking over the business on his own account. Mr. Cook is a member of the management committee and session clerk of the Presbyterian Church, and has been secretary and treasurer of the Sunday school for nearly twenty years. He is an enthusiastic temperance advocate, and was for six years a member of the Hastings Rifles. Mr. Cook married Miss Christina Wemyss, of Blenheim, and has three sons.
Williams, Henry, and Sons Limited, Wholesale and Retail Ironmongers, Hastings. Head-quarters, Napier. The Hastings branch of this firm was founded in the year 1887. The premises are situated in a large section near the railway line, and consist of a commodious two-storeyd wood and iron building. The retail department is situated on the ground floor, and carries a variety of general ironmongery; the first floor is devoted to bulk stock; and at the rear of the building there is a plumbing and tinsmithing department. The business is conducted on the most systematic lines; and a large trade is done in both town and country districts. Messrs Henry Williams and Sons, Limited, are further referred to under Napier.
Mr. William John Robertson, Manager of the Hastings branch of the business of Messrs William and Sons, Limited, was born in Napier on the 15th of October, 1877, and is a son of an old colonist, who for many years conducted business in that town as a watchmaker. He was educated in Wanganui and Hastings, and in May, 1892 entered the employment of Messrs Williams and Sons, Limited, as an apprentice in the Hastings branch of the business. He subsequently became first shop assistant, and in January, 1901, received his present appointment. Mr. Roberston was a member of the Hastings Rifles.
“The Byko” (Harry Arthur Symonds, proprietor), Cycle and Motor-Car Depot, Station Street, Hastings. This business was founded in the year 1899, in Queen Street, by the present proprietor, and was removed to its present site in August, 1902. The premises are large and well appointed, and contain a showroom, in which is displayed a varied stock of bicycles, “F.N.” Motor cycles, and accessories, a large workshop thoroughly equipped with all necessary plant and machinery, and a garage. Three men are constantly employed, and repairing work is undertaken. Mr. Symonds was born at Kaipara, Auckland, on the 25th of February, 1871, and is the second son of Mr. William Symonds, a well-known builder. He was educated at his native place, and then assisted in his father's business. In the year 1888 he accompanied his parents to Hastings, where, after working in conjunction with his father for about ten years, he established his present business. Mr. Symonds was for some years a member of the Hastings Fire Brigade and the Hastings Town Band.
The Hawke's Bay Special Cycle Works were acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1903. The premises are of brick, and contain the general shop and show room, and the workshop. Both apartments are well appointed, and have a complete stock of fittings, machinery, and implements. A special cycle and motor cycle, known as the “Hawke's Bay Special,” are manufactured on the premises, and are well built, light, and page 469 easy running. Repairs of all kinds are neatly, cheaply, and quickly executed.
Mr. Thomas Douglas Sinclair, the proprietor, was born in Welington, on the 24th of April, 1882. He was educated at public schools in Wanganui, and learned his trade with Messrs Cole and Donnelly, of Hawera, and Mr. Parsons, and Messrs Turner and Company, of Wanganui. Mr. Sinclair also worked for a time with a large firm in New Plymouth, and in 1903 settled in Hastings. For three years he was employed as foreman by Messrs Edmundson and Company, took over the business in 1903 and removed into more central premises.