The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Symonds, William, Coach-builder and Bieycle Manufacturer, Queen Street, Hastings. Telephone, No. 9. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Havelock. Established, 1888. The workshop is one of the most complete in Hawke's Bay. There is a large show-room, with a number of beautifully-finished vehicles on view. The workshops and smithies are large, and are fitted with the latest labour-saving machinery and tools, including an eight-horse power steam engine; the painting-room, to which the vehicles are raised by a steam lift, is sixty-six feet by thirty-three feet, and the whole premises occupy a floor space of 11,000 feet. Mr. Symonds employs sixteen men in his business, including painters, upholsterers, smiths, and body-builders. The manufacture of laundaus and highclass vehicles is a specialty. The buggies, waggonettes, cabs, and hansomes turned out from this establishment reflect the greatest credit on the proprietor. Mr. Symonds is a native of London, England, where he was brought up to the ironmongery business. He came to Auckland in the year 1862, by the ship “Matilda Wattenbach,” and spent twenty-five years at Kaipara, where he was engaged as a boat-builder and shipwright. In 1888 he remove to Hastings, and established his present business, which has since assumed such large proportions, and to which he has added bicycle manufacturing. During his residence at Kaipara Mr. Symonds was a member of the school committee and road board. He is married and has three sons.
Mr. W. Symonds.