The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Builders and Contractors
Builders and Contractors.
Campbell, Hugh Henry, Builder and Contractor. Hastings. This business was established in the year 1895, and a large number of buildings in and around Hastings have since been erected by Mr. Campbell. Among these may be mentioned: the Drill Hall, the Hastings Club, the Farmers' Co-operative Stores, the Technical School, and the residences of Messrs H. Campbell (Poukawa), H. M. Saunders (Kopua), C. F. Wilson (Hatuma), T. H. Lowry (Okawa), W. Shrimpton (Matapiro), Lowry-North (Puketapu), W. A. Beecroft (Havelock North), and the Presbyterian Church at Havelock North. Mr. Campbell was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, on the 25th of August, 1854, and is a son of a sea captain. He was educated and brought up to the building trade in his native shire, and came to New Zealand in the year 1871. Mr. Camphell worked at his trade for twelve years in Christchurch, and then removed to Blenheim, where he remained for fifteen years. In 1893 he settled in Hastings, and two years later started in business on his own account. Mr. Camphell is an office bearer and one of the Sunday school teachers of the Presbyterian Church. He married the eldest daughter of Mr. Wemyss, of Blenheim, in 1882, and has two sons and one daughter.
Hohnston, George, Builder and Contractor, Karamu Road, Hastings, Mr. Johnston was born at Bolton, Lancashire, England, on the 23rd of December, 1874, and was educated and brought up as a joiner in his native place. He afterwards learned the building trade, and was employed on the Midland Railway for a considerable time. Mr. Johnston came to New Zealand in 1901, and soon after landing established his present business in Hastings, which gives employment to six journeymen. He has gained the reputation of being an efficient and reliable tradesman, and has successfully undertaken various large building contracts. Mr. Johnston takes a keen interest in physical culture, and as a youth went through two army courses of training in England. He is a member of the Wesleyan Church choir and of the Hastings Cricket Club.
Stanley Brothers, Builders, and Contractors, Hastings. This business was established in the year 1892, by Messrs A. A. and R. Stanley, the present proprietors, and it is now (1906) one of the largest and most prosperous in Hawke's Bay. Among the buildings erected by the firm may be mentioned Mr. Holdworth's residence (“Swathmore”) at Havelock, the Commercial Hotel at Woodville, Mr. John Tosswill's residence, the buildings on the Maraekakaho, Green Hill, Sherenden, and Twyford stations, and a large number of private residences and business houses. About twenty-five persons are employed by the firm.
Mr. Alfred Arthur Stanley, senior partner in the firm of Messrs Stanley Brothers, was born on the Isle of Wight, in April, 1861, and is the eldest son of Mr. Thomas Stanley, of Hastings. He was educated in the Old Country, and in 1874 came to New Zealand, and settled in Napier, where he completed his apprenticeship to the building trade. When only seventeen years of age Mr. Stanley started in business on his own account, and was subsequently joined by his brother in partnership. He is one of the promoters and a member of the Hastings Lodge of Oddfellows, and a life member of the Hastings Fire Brigade.
Mr. Richard Stanley, junior partner in the firm of Messrs Stanley Brothers, was born in Kent, England, in 1872, and is the fourth son of Mr. Thomas Stanley. He arrived in New Zealand in the year 1874, was educated at public schools in Hawke's Bay, and afterwards learned the building trade with his father and eldest brother. He continued to work with them until 1892, when he joined the latter in partnership. Mr. Stanley is a member of the Hastings Fire Brigade, and an officer of the Hastings Lodge of the Protestant Alliance. He is married and has four children.