The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Clive is a prosperous township in a thriving district, on the south side of the Ngaruroro river, six and a half miles southwest from Napier, and is connected by a bridge with the railway station at Farndon, on the opposite side of the river. It is situated in the county of Hawke's Bay, and is one of the earliest settlements of the province. In the early days trading boats called at East Clive, and before the frozen mutton industry was established many boiling-down factories carried on their operations in the district. Clive has at several times suffered from severe floods, notably the flood of 1897, in which ten men from Napier lost their lives in attempting to rescue the flooded-out settlers. To commemorate this deed of heroism a handsome monument has been erected on the Marine Parade, Napier. There is a large public school at Clive, one hotel, several churches, Oddfellows' and Foresters' Lodges, several athletic clubs, and a beautiful park twenty acres in extent. Dairy farming, market gardening, wool scouring and fellmongering are the chief industries of the district.
Fellmongery and Wool Scouring Works, Clive. Mr. J. B. Illingworth, the proprietor, established this business in the year 1890, since when it has grown into an important industry. About 200 bales of wool are treated annually, the business undertaken is chiefly on commission; although in 1905 Mr. Illingworth bought 100 bales on his own account, which he treated, and subquently disposed of at a good price in the London market. There are two artesian wells on the property, which give a plentiful supply of water to an up-to-date improved patent scouring box, in which the wool is washed; also a strainer, a reservoir, and a Taylor and Bremmer wool press.page 441
The works, which are situated on the banks of the Ngaruroro river, have a drying ground of half an acre of land.
Mr. John Blow Illingworth is a native of Halifax, Yorkshire, England. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Roslyn Castle,” arriving in Port Chalmers in 1871. He remained for six years in Dunedin, where he was employed as a wool classer by Messrs Murray, Roberts and Company, and other large wool brokers. He then, in conjunction with Mr. Andrew Hepburn, established wool scouring works and a fellmongery in Pleasant Valley, near Palmerston South. He subsequently sold out, however, and in 1876 settled in Hawke's Bay. Mr. Illingworth, as an expert, is engaged each season in classifying Messrs W. J. and A. F. Douglas' “Te Mahanga” and Lake station clips, which are the largest and most important in Hawke's Bay. He has been a member of the Clive School Committee, and has done much to promote the welfare of the district. Mr. Illingworth married a daughter of Mr. Argue, of Belfast, Ireland, and has, surviving, a family of two daughters, both of whom are married.
Tucker, R., and Company, Wool-Scourers and Fellmongers, Wha page 442 katu. Clive. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales, Napier. Telephone, 152, Hastings. This industry, situated near the Whakatu railway siding, was established by Mr. S. H. Knight, and was acquired by the present Company in June, 1901. Upwards of 1,000 bales of wool and several thousands of pelts are treated each season, and shipped to the London market. Situated on the premises is the largest artesian well in Hawke's Bay, which yields from 900 to 1,000 gallons a minute, and this flows into two large wash boxes. Hot water pipes are laid on to scouring tubs from a six horse-power Tangye boiler, and the plant is up to date in every respect. There is nearly an acre of flat drying ground adjoining the works. The wool is baled with a powerful Zealandia wool press.
Mr. Richard Tucker, of the firm of Messrs R. Tucker and Company, was born and educated in Auckland, and learned his present business in Hawke's Bay. He is an expert on everything appertaining to wool, and has been engaged on several occasions to classify the “Marac-kakaho” clip. Mr. Tucker is a member of the Havelock School Committee, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society.
Mr. Frederick Tucker, of the firm of Messrs R. Tucker and Company, is the son of the late Mr. Edward Tucker, an old colonist, who arrived in New Zealand in the barque “William Bryant” in 1841. He was educated in Auckland, and for many years afterwards was engaged in station work in Hawkes Bay. He is a member of the Mangateretere School Committee, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society. Mr. Tucker married a daughter of Mr. Edward Howse, of Puketapu. This lady passed away in 1893, leaving a family of five sons and four daughter.
Oppenheimer, S., and Company, Sausage Casing Works, Clive (Charles F. Hansen, manager). Head Office, Pearl Street, New York, U.S.A. This business was established by Mr. John Rothe, of Wellington, in the year 1892. The runners are obtained from the North British and Tomoana Freezing Works, and the Napier Abattoirs, and after being treated are shipped in barrels to New York. The yearly output is about 120,000 Ibs, of easings. There are four artesian wells eighteen large vats in the works, and sixteen persons are employed during the season.
Mr. Charles Frederick Hansen was born in Denmark, in 1859, and spent his early manhood in seafaring life. He made his first trip to New Zealand in 1881, and for eight years afterwards was engaged in the coastal trade as second mate on Mr. J. H. Vautier's vessels. Mr. Hansen gained his experience in factory work with Mr. John Rothe, and in 1894 when the present company bought the plant, he was installed as manager of the works. He is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and is a Freemason and Oddfellow of many years' standing. Mr. Hansen married a daughter of the late Mr. W. Krause, of Napier, in 1889, and has three sons and one daughter.
Mr. P. G. Thornton.
The Farndon Coopery, Clive, was established in the year 1880, by the present proprietor, Mr. C. H. Alley, who recognised the growing need for barrels by the various freezing and other companies in the district. The timber used in construction comes from Oringi, near Danne-virke, and is peculiarly suitable for the requirements of the trade. Barrels of all sizes are turned out as required, and the work is first class in quality. The machinery, which is up-to-date in every respect, includes a crozing and head-cutting machine, a cross-cut saw and stave joiner, and planing and hoop-flaring machines. The whole is driven by an eight horse-power Tangye engine, and the staff are capable of turning out 100 barrels a day. The coopery manufactures for the North British and Hawke's Bay Freezing Works, Messrs Nelson Brothers, and Messrs Bowron and Butcher.
Mr. Charles Henry Alley, proprietor of the Farndon Coopery, was born in Queen's County, Ireland, in 1846; came to New Zealand in the ship “Constance,” and arrived in Wellington in 1862. Subsequently he went to Hawke's Bay, where he was employed by Messrs Nelson Brothers, but afterwards left their employment in order to establish himself in business as a contractor, an occupation he followed for many years. After a time spent in Fardon as a timber merchant and coal dealer, he branched out in his present enterprise. Mr. Alley served in the Colonial Defence Force in 1864, under Major Whitmore and Captain Anderson, and in the volunteers under Captain Gordon, at the taking of the Omaranui pa in 1866. He has been a member of the Clive school and licensing committees and the road board. He married Miss Margaret Odlum, of Auck-land, in 1868, and has four sons and five daughters.
Mr. C. H. Alley.
Clifton Station, Cape Kidnappers, Clive, is the property of Captain T. E. Gordon, and is managed by his son, Mr. F. L. Gordon. The property is freehold, and consists of 13,314 acres of hilly and undulating country, the portion at Cape Kidnappers being chiefly gullies, ravines, and rough, broken country. “Clifton” carries 19,000 half-bred Romney-Marsh sheep, of which 10,500 are breeding ewes, and the lambing average is about eighty per cent. There are also 1,450 head of cattle, and upwards of 100 horses on the property. The wool clip, which averages about 400 bales, is shipped direct to the Home market, and the best prices are realised. There, are two homesteads on the estate, both modern buildings, one facing the sea, and the other on the banks of the Maraetotara river. Four generations of the Gordons have already resided at “Clifton.”
Mr. Frank L. Gordon, manager of Chifton station, was born in Napier, and received his education at the United Services College, Westward Ho, Devonshire, England. He returned to New Zealand in the year 1884, and took up his residence at “Clifton,” the property of his father. Mr. Gordon is a member of the Hastings Polo Club, the Hawke's Bay Jockey Clúb, and the Napier Park Racing Club, and has been a member of the Hawke's Bay County Council, the Clive River Board and Road Board, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society. He married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Turner, of “Engsleigh,” Havelock, and has one son and one daughter.
Farndon Dairy Farm (Patterson, Mossman, and Company, proprietors; Mr. James S. Russell, manager), Clive. This property of 600 acres contains some of the best land in the district, is splendidly watered, and capable of raising enormous crops. Two hundred and fifty head of cattle are depastured, including eighty milking cows. The milking is done on the shares principle, and the product supplied daily to Messrs W. Stock and Company's creamery, Napier. There are also a number of sheep and horses on the property, grass being plentiful all the year round. About fifty acres are cropped annually, maize and barley doing exceedingly well, whilst a paddock of lucerne during the year 1906 was reaped three times. The farm is well fenced, and well managed, and is one of the best paying properties in the district. Situated on the property are several dwelling houses and substantial up-to-date outbuildings. The cow shed, which is well appointed, has thirty-six stalls.
Mr. James Scott Russell, manager of the Fardon Dairy Farm, entered upon his present duties in September, 1904. He was born in Auckland in the year 1868, and was educated in the Waikato. Subsequently he spent fourteen years on sheep stations in Hawke's Bay, where he gained experience in agricultural and pastoral matters. Mr. Russell is an energetic manager, and thoroughly competent to carry out the duties which he has undertaken.