The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Turiroa is situated on the Wairoa river, about seventy-five miles north-east from Napier, and is in the county of Wairoa and the electoral district of Waiapu. A steamer plies between Napier and Wairoa, and from the latter place to Turiroa, three and a-half miles, there is a coach road. The nearest telegraph office is at Wairoa, and there is a weekly mail service between Napier and the township. The local store has a telephone connection with Wairoa. Lake Waikare-Moana is thirty miles distant, and good fishing and shooting can be obtained in the adjacent river and district.
McKinnon, John Murdick, Settler, Turiroa. Mr. McKinnon's homestead is situated on a farm of 100 acres, in conjunction with which he conducts Kaihunahuna station, a run of 4,000 acres, stocked with 3,500 cross-bred sheep, and forty head of cattle. The proprietor is the second son of Mr. John McKinnon, a well-known and highly-esteemed settler of Arapawanui. He was born at Clive in the year 1861, and was educated at the Napier Grammar School. Mr. McKinnon was brought up to farming, and acquired his present property in 1888. He married a daughter of Mr. J. Davis, of Wairoa, and has two sons.