The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. Thomas Peddie
Mr. Thomas Peddie was born in North Leith, Scotland, in the year 1838, and went to sea at the age of seventeen years. He followed this occupation page 408 for several years, as steward of various ships. His last ship was the “Blue Jacket,” which he left in 1867 in order to settle in Napier. He was employed as storeman by Messrs Kinross and Company, with whom he remained for three years, and in 1870 he purchased the Taradale Hotel. After doing very well for about six years he sold the property, and a year later bought the lease of the Clarendon Club Hotel, and acquired the free hold in 1881. Mr. Peddie successfully conducted this hotel for many years, but in 1901 he retired from hotel life to take up sheep-farming at Colyton, in the province of Wellington, after having held an hotel license for over thirty years in the Napier district. It may be of interest to note that Mr. Peddie's first license was signed by the late Colonel Russell, in the year 1870, at a Petty Sessions Court held in the old Meanee Hotel. Mr. Peddie married Miss C. Dunbar, of Forres, Morayshire, in 1870, and has two sons and three daughters.