The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. Charles James Nairn
Mr. Charles James Nairn, who was a well-known and respected colonist of Hawke's Bay, was born in Carshalton, Surrey, England, came to New Zealand in the year 1849, by the ship “London,” and landed in Wellington in December of that year, with many other prominent settlers. Early in the “fifties” Mr. Nairn settled at Pariri, Hawke's Bay, and entered into the work of a pioneer sheep-farmer so successfully that many years before his death he bequeathed to the Church of England in Hawke's Bay land valued at £10,000, from which a rental of £900 a year is derived. Mr. Nairn was a member of the Patangata County Council, and chairman of the Patangata Road Board. During a visit to England he married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Wright, of Boston, Lincolnshire. His last visit to the Old Country was in. 1891, when he was accompanied by his wife and family. There he died on the 21st of July, 1894, and Mrs. Nairn, with three sons and two daughters, afterwards returned to the colony.
The Late Mr. C. J. Nairn.