The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. John Hindmarsh
Mr. John Hindmarsh was born in the year 1820, in France, where his parents were temporarily residing. He was educated at the Royal Naval College, Portsmouth, where he won the gold medal with the right to a lieutenant's commission; but his father, Rear-Admiral Sir John Hindmarsh, did not consider him strong enough for the navy. In 1836, when his father was appointed Governor of South Australia, Mr. Hindmarsh accompanied him to that colony, and for some time followed the calling of a surveyor, in partnership with Mr. A. F. Lindsay, M.P., and laid out the towns of Hindmarsh and Walkerville. Mr. Hindmarsh went to England in 1841, and was called to the Bar of the Middle Temple, but after practising the legal profession for a few months, he returned to South Australia, where he settled on a large property on the shores of Victor Harbour, at the same time practising in the courts and filling the appointment of Revising Barrister under the Electoral Act for nearly all the colony. The fine climate of Napier tempted Mr. Hindmarsh to leave Australia, where he had spent the best part of his life, and which, from old associations, was dear to him. On his arrival in New Zealand, in 1878, he purchased a large run in the neighbourhood of Napier. He married a daughter of the late Captain Leworthy, R.N., and left a family of three sons and two daughters. The eldest son is a partner in the firm of Messrs Robjolms, Hindmarsh and Company, Napier; the second son is a barrister in Wellington, and the third is a runholder at Tokomaru, on the East Coast. Mr. Hindmarsh died on the 3rd of August, 1902.