The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. J. P. Hamlin
Mr. J. P. Hamlin, for many years a native interpreter at Napier, was a son of the late Rev. James Hamlin, and was born at Waiuku, Auckland. He was educated at Mr. Gorrie's seminary, and after leaving school was employed in farming pursuits. During the Maori troubles, in the year 1863, he joined the 3rd Waikato Regiment under Colonel Lyon, and served for five years, first as ensign, and was afterwards promoted to the rank of lieutenant. At the termination of the war, Mr. Hamlin went to the Thames gold-fields, where fortunes were being rapidly made and lost, but, his speculations not proving successful, he removed to Napier in 1871, and entered into practice as a native interpreter, his knowledge of the Maori language and customs being extensive. In 1877 he acquired possession of the Te Uhi station, near Wairoa, a splendid property of 5,000 acres, which is now managed by his sons. He was a Freemason of old standing, and senior warden of his lodge. Mr. Hamlin died suddenly at Wairoa, and left two sons and two daughters.
The Late Mr. J. P. Hamlin.