The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. David Glendinning
Mr. David Glendinning, sometime a well-known contractor in Napier, was born in the year 1832, in Port Patrick, Scotland, where he was educated, and learned the building trade. In 1858 he went to Cape Colony, and carried on business as a builder and contractor until 1865, when he sailed for New Zealand in the brig “Reichstag.” Whilst at Capetown, Mr. Glendinning married the daughter of Mr. John Norkett, of Sussex, a Cape settler. After spending two or three years in Auckland, Mr. Glendinning went to the Thames, and until 1872 was variously engaged in building, contracting and speculating. Securing large contracts in various parts of the North Island, he removed with his family from place to place, and finally settled in Napier to carry out the contract for the extensive bridge at the Western Spit. He also built the Redcliff and Mohaka bridges, and many handsome buildings in Napier were wholly or partly erected by him. For many years Mr. Glendinning was in partnership with Mr. John Griffin, a well-known builder and contractor of Napier. He died on the 23rd of January, 1896, from paralysis, and left a widow, five sons, and three daughters.
The Late Mr. D. Glendinning.